www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Zeiss West DIC with Mismatched Objectives
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Zeiss West DIC with Mismatched Objectives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75RR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would love to see if you, or 75RR, really see any difference between the the condenser oiled and dry. (With DIC that is... I know it can make a difference in brightfield).

Had a go today but was unhappy with the result. Was using Frustulia rhomboides which may have been the problem - never had much luck with it - will try again tomorrow.
Visually the difference in DIC between the condenser oiled and dry seems to be readily apparent, however capturing that difference with the camera is proving elusive.
arturoag75

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i did a little upgrade of my article about compatibility of dic prisms slides and objectives on old zeiss DIC system and specially of the leitz npl fluotar 50x 1.0.
take a look
Arturo

http://www.microscopeitaly.it/2009/11/30/zeiss-nomarski-d-i-c-160mm-terza-e-ultima-versione/
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, Arturo.

With my older hybrid Zeiss/Oly DIC system it is one of my best objectives for DIC. I also find it much better color corrected than others NPL Fluotars I have, about at Plan Apo level I would say
75RR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arturoag75 wrote:
Hi,
i did a little upgrade of my article about compatibility of dic prisms slides and objectives on old zeiss DIC system and specially of the leitz npl fluotar 50x 1.0.
take a look
Arturo

http://www.microscopeitaly.it/2009/11/30/zeiss-nomarski-d-i-c-160mm-terza-e-ultima-versione/

Thanks for the heads up.
It was this article that first got me thinking about experimenting with alternative objectives for DIC (Though I have not strayed from Zeiss yet)

Speaking of which, I have just received a new to me Zeiss Planapo 40x/1.0 oel (with some delamination - which made it affordable)
and can confirm that as stated in arturoag75's article, it works very well with the Plan 40x/0.65 slider.

So along with my Zeiss Neofluar 25x/0.60 Pol which works well with the Plan 40x/0.65 slider - that makes two so far.

Last edited by 75RR on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can read at your new objective 40/1 and 0.6, 1, ... so it seems that it's provided with a correction collar. If it doesn't go down to 0.17 the objective is designed only for inverted microscopes to see through a 1mm thick microscope slide or Petri dish bottom, so in use to see through the standard cove glass it will be outside its normal design providing some spherical aberration (this will be fatal with a dry objective but because oil RI is pretty similar to glass, immersion objectives are more tolerant). Try it with a prepared slide upside down to see if it works better
zzffnn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pau,

I think that 0.6-1.0 is NA range and the collar controls an internal iris. Usual cover correction range is 0, 0.17, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2-2.0 mm.
0.6 mm would be an unusual cover thickness.

Both Zeiss and LOMO offered iris objectives with NA range of around 0.6-1.0, though with slightly different magnification. There was a 60x NA 0.7-1.0 from Zeiss or LOMO, as well.
75RR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pau,
it is not a cover slip correction collar but an iris that stops down the aperture from 1.0 to 0.6 for darkfield.
See extract from page 51 in Zeiss Optical Systems brochure below.

... and an enlargement of the footnote for those that had difficulty reading the numbers.

Last edited by 75RR on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:01 am; edited 3 times in total
wpo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed, the ZEISS PlanApo 40/1.0 Oil has an internal iris, same as the phase contrast version PlanApo 40/1.0 Oil PH3.

Best regards from Hannover

Wolfgang
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haemocytometer / Hemacytometer cover slips are typically 0.6mm (Fischer or Philip Harris)
or can you just turn the slide over and look through the 1mm slide?
75RR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
Haemocytometer / Hemacytometer cover slips are typically 0.6mm (Fischer or Philip Harris)
or can you just turn the slide over and look through the 1mm slide?

Thanks ChrisR, but I find the Planapo 40x/1.0 oel (catalogue number 46 17 46) works fine with 0.17 cover slips

Will try and post an image later.
zzffnn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be easier to remove the objective, look through the objective back lens, while turning that collar. NA iris is an obvious iris that opens and closes with turning of the collar, while covet correction collar doesn't do that.

Last edited by zzffnn on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 am; edited 2 times in total
75RR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzffnn wrote:
It may be easier to remove the objective, look through the objective back lens, while turning that collar. NA iris is an obvious iris that opens and closes with turning of the collar, while covet correction collar don't do that.

The Planapo 40x/1.0 oel (catalogue number 46 17 46) works fine with 0.17 cover slips, as it is designed to do.

See catalogue number and info in table above.
Now corrected to avoid any confusion the transposition may have caused :)
Smokedaddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized this is a old thread but I have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone tried the Plan-Neofluar 40/0.95 on a PZO DIC Biolar? I was looking for excellent 40x objective.

2. I also was looking for Cactusdave 'link" for his fixed afocal coupling system he mentioned here?

Thanks,
-JW:
Choronzon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW,
I can attest that this Zeiss objective is one of my favorites. Mine will produce excellent, even DIC on the Ultraphot 3, as well as the WL ; both with the older style common main prisms II, and III, with condenser prism 2. Strangely, it's also a phase 3 version.
Back in the late 70's, I used the original style PZO DIC microscope extensively for several years. Because the recombining prism was height adjustable for objective exit pupil height, I could use virtually any objective. I started out with various Zeiss ones, but ended up settling with Nikon CF plan apos.
As long as the condenser prisms matched the objective magnifications, it looked great. So I never tried 63x or 16x, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn they work also.
I still have the PZO DIC manual somewhere, but it's mostly theory.
Ichthyophthirius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokedaddy wrote:
Plan-Neofluar 40/0.95 on a PZO DIC Biolar?

Do you mean the Planapo 40/0,95, the Plan-Neofluar 63/0,90 or the Plan-Neofluar 40/0,90 Imm? I haven't tried any of them but we should clarify Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: