www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - 70-200mm as tube lens - finding true infinity focus
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
70-200mm as tube lens - finding true infinity focus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: 70-200mm as tube lens - finding true infinity focus Reply with quote

I've successfully used a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II as a tube lens for a 5x Nikon Plan objective, so I'm happy it works well in practice. I set focus to "approximately" infinity, aperture wide open, and images are as sharp as I expect.

I have a 10x Mitty on the way (yay, at last) and wonder if the "approximation" of infinity focus (infinity is marked as a short line on the lens, not as a specific point) might degrade image quality at this higher power and resolution. What aberrations should I look for if the focus setting were not quite right? Or doesn't it matter much?
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In basic theory, the main effect of something other than infinity focus is to add spherical aberration (SA), as a result of dragging the objective away from its designed focus point.

For small amounts of added SA, there will be a slight softening because the MTF curve will sag (without changing its cutoff point). Also some asymmetry will develop in the rendering of detail that is slightly in front versus slightly behind perfect focus.

For the particular situation that you've described, the amount of added SA will be very small. I would be surprised if it's detectable by eye, and shocked if it matters.

As always, test to be sure. Sometimes there are other issues that are not predicted by basic theory. This happens especially often away from image center, where other aberrations dominate.

--Rik
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry at all. With a 0.30 objective you even could play a bit with focus to tune magnification
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both. I thought any effect would be negligible, but always good to tap the brains here for insights. Really looking forward to exercising the mitty as I've waited many, many years to get one! Any suggestions on how to speed up the postman? Smile

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: