Brachionus juggling

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Brachionus juggling

Post by gpmatthews »

Brachionus quadridentatus juggling algae

Microscope: Zeiss Standard GFL
Ocular: Zeiss Kpl W 10x/18
Objective: Leitz x15 NPL Fluotar ICT
Substage: Leitz ICT
(Differential Interference Contrast)
Camera: Canon Powershot S50/flash

Sample from garden pond 11 Aug 2007
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cute! I have not watched rotifers enough to see this regularly, but I think I have seen something similar with some of the larger ciliates. Thanks for posting! :D

--Rik

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Graham

congratulations to your new DIC set-up and all your fine recent pics.

I would like to make one comment though: I find those uneven backgrounds a bit of a pity. A couple of months ago I posted a link to this nice tool here:

http://www.olympusmicro.com/primer/digi ... nload.html

I just thought it sort of might come in handy for you :idea:

Greetings from Germany

Bernhard

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Bernhard,

As also discussed by e-mail, I do use the toolkit, but found that it would not work on full size images. I have found a work around using the background generated by the toolkit and resizing it before processing in Paintshop Pro. Here is a reworked version of this post:

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Right,

we've just discussed this problem over here in our german forum and many people don't like the tool for that reason. But actually I don't see the point: I always do all the image processing including the diminishing of size for the web and only THEN I deal with the background and see what I can sort of rescue :D

Bernhard

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Bernhard,

I think that's fine for forum work, and indeed is quite a quick way of working, if, however, you want to print using full resolution images, then my work around seems to do the job. It takes a little longer, but can give acceptable results. By the way, I think I could have done a better job selecting the sample points for the Brachionus image - the background is still a little uneven...

... thanks for a useful exchange of thoughts.
Graham

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic