Zeiss Stereo ID

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Eddie

Zeiss Stereo ID

Post by Eddie »

Just bought a Zeiss Stereo microscope which I would like to ID.
Pictures were taken by the seller and is being used with his permission.

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Zeiss OPMI?

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I was thinking it is a vintage OPMI on a stand but haven't been able to ID which model.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

It dates from the nineteen sixties. It shares the barrel and focusing mechanism with the "Tessovar" It also shares the binocular head from with the OPMI but probably is NOT an OPMI scope. When they first developed the surgical microscopes they "stole" pieces from the stereo microscope line which already existed. There were OPMIs intended for office use that had a stand like that (for microsurgeons to remove sutures with without returning to the OR) But if I had to bet I would bet it is just a stereo.

I like the sellers AR 2a speakers. The first good stereo speakers which I ever owned circa 1969. :lol:

Reviewing the photo one more time I would surmise that with all those vinyl spinning turntables, in the photo your seller was trying to use the scope to examine phono cartridge styli. I have done this many times but it does not give you very much information in my experience. There was a cartridge company in the 70s Audio Dynamics Corp, which required their dealers to purchase a Wild M5 outfit with lighting and an X-Y stage as a sales aid for selling overpriced cartridges. I don't think it actually worked that well as a sales gimmick. There was one here in St. Louis and I tried hard to buy the M5 from the guy after the shop closed. But he wouldn't budge below $2500. I can't blame him because the outfit probably cost him the better part of $10K in the early seventies.

I also notice that there are two non focusing oculars in the ocular tubes. One of them is supposed to be a focusing ocular so that you can make accomodation for differences in strength between the eyes. You may or may not need to worry about this. The good news is that there are very nice oculars available from the far east at very good prices you you could just put a pair of focusing oculars on if you need that functionality. It would cost very little. And although it may seem like sacrilege to put them onto a cherman made scope the ones I have seen so far (very large number!) have all been of excellent quality.

You could start watching a search on ebay for "Zeiss Stereo Microscope" and parts for same. You will discover that this one is not as common as many others. This dates from a time when Zeiss west Germany and east Germany were finishing up "shaking off the war" and also getting adjusted to the cold war conditions that separated them. I don't think they sold nearly as many of these as they did later models.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

g4lab,

Good info...thank you. I bought the scope thinking it looked like a Tessovar but it looked a bit different and it didn't have the Tessovar engraved on it. I collect scopes, so this looks to be a nice addition to my collection. I have a well equipped Wild M5 and a M5A, so it will be good to compare the optics between them. I have another Zeiss Stereo, an SR with focusing eyepieces, so I can use those if there is a problem with the non-focusing eyepieces.

wpo

Post by wpo »

Hi Eddie,

the correct name is Zeiss Stemi IVb (stereo microscope 4b)

Best regards

Wolfgang

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

There is another similar one at ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Mikroskop ... SwjVVVoZ7a

Googling for Stemi IVb as suggested by wpo :
http://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=10401.0, that seems the same with older style paint. There is also a link to the original german booklet.

A Miscape article: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... tereo.html
Pau

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Wolfgang, Thank you for the ID.

Pau, Thanks. From the ebay listing, I think I got a really good deal.

Now to wait till it arrives so I can check it out.

wpo

Post by wpo »

Pau wrote:
Googling for Stemi IVb as suggested by wpo :
http://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=10401.0, that seems the same with older style paint. There is also a link to the original german booklet.

quote]

Hi Pau,

that is not the same microscope in an old style paint. Here is a Stemi II shown, which is different in internal optics and mechanical coupling of the binocular head. You can see that the body of the IVb is ca. 50% higher than the II because of the zoom optic instead of the revolving Galilei optic with 6 fixed magnification steps in the Stemi II.

The II, III (which has another different internal zoom optic and none detachable binocular head), IV and IVb stereo microscopes were manufactured over a long time and you will find many of them still in use in many labs here. Over the time there were lots of attachment items produced for drawing, discussion, one beam photomacrography with 63mm Luminar, simultanious 3d-photomacrography on divided Leicaformat, different preset lenses for variable working distances, different microscope stands and illuminations etc.

Eddi, you made a good deal, I am sure. I own two of these (IV and IVb) and the afterwards manufactured SV8 myself since more than 20 years and they still work fine. Of course, more modern Stereo microscopes give higher magnification and resolution, more luminance and the alternative of fluorescence microscopy but ... the price ....

Best regards

Wolfgang

(excuse my poor english, please)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Wolfgang, you're right, thanks for the correction.
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic