Beginner question about microscope operation

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

glennbech

Beginner question about microscope operation

Post by glennbech »

I just bought a second hand stereo microscope from a guy who inherited it from his father. I got it for 70 usd , and it seem a lot better build and with more features that the 60 - 100 euro range microscopes in stores.

I have some pictures of it here, in this google album

https://goo.gl/photos/v7qqg8tn8vhaW4gG6

It's got Wetzlar objectives that I hope and assume are good.

I have a few beginner problems with the microscope that I hope to get some help with.

I can't seem to move the stage up and down. The large knobs that I assumed would move it are very hard to move. If I apply some pressure, it gives, but the stage still does not move up and down.

The turret is also pretty hard to move.

Is this just because it is old, and needs some TLC? Am I doing something wrong? Can I do the required service myself?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, these old instruments are usually more solid than modern inexpensive ones.
It isn't a stereo microscope, it's a binocular compound microscope: you look trough both eyes but the same image produced by the objective.

The problem can be hardened grease. To fix it completely the only way can be to dismount the mechanics to lube them, some thing very delicate, you can try heating it with a hair dryer and moving when hot, some times works, better dismount before the objectives if you apply heat to the turret.
Pau

glennbech

Post by glennbech »

Yes, these old instruments are usually more solid than modern inexpensive ones. It isn't a stereo microscope, it's a binocular compound microscope: you look trough both eyes but the same image produced by the objective.
Thanks for clearing that up
The problem can be hardened grease. To fix it completely the only way can be to dismount the mechanics to lube them, some thing very delicate, you can try heating it with a hair dryer and moving when hot, some times works, better dismount before the objectives if you apply heat to the turret.
I'm use to servicing gears and worms from telescopes mounts. The mechanics of the microscope looks to be the same, but smaller and more delicate as you say. I paid 60 USD for it, so not the end of the world If I screw something up....

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

As Pau mentioned... most likely thickened grease.

One quick thought... try not to move such a "semi-frozen" or "frozen" component using the knobs until you are able to get it free in some manner. Unfortunately it is not uncommon to break or strip out a component if yo do so.

glennbech

Post by glennbech »

One quick thought... try not to move such a "semi-frozen" or "frozen" component using the knobs until you are able to get it free in some manner. Unfortunately it is not uncommon to break or strip out a component if yo do so.
Thanks for the help!

I am also interested in Astronomy and service old telescope mounts from time to time. My motto is "Don't do anything to the equipment, that you would not do to you girlfriend". :-)

I had do pick apart and reassemble it all to get to the frozen part. A good dash of WD-40 did the trick, and I now have a well functioning super microsope for a bargain :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic