Starting out in Macro

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bilgola

Starting out in Macro

Post by bilgola »

Hi All, I have just joined the forum and have no experience in Macro photography at this time...which is the reason I joined. I figure this is where I will go to school.

I plan to use my Canon 7d together with a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM (the lens is still to be bought) but all my research suggests that this would be a good starting point...also a good portrait lens I believe.

I was tempted by the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L but but since the Sigma has price tag close to half that of the Canon in Australia its hard to pass...especially for a beginner like me. The Sigma seems to meet all my requirements; affordable, good reviews etc. Maybe when I am half competent I might go up market.

But having said that I am open to advice. So, please feel free to let me know what you think.

Regards, Mike

Sorry...seem to have posted this in the wrong place

Shane C

Post by Shane C »

The Sigma 105mm Macro seems very similar to the Canon 100mm Macro in many respects, including the change in focal length when close-focusing. Their US site shows a steep discount right now, and I understand why it looks so attractive.

I own the Canon 100mm Macro lens, and if the Sigma is close to it then it will be a good lens for close-up work. My experience using the Canon 100mm for people portrait work is kinda mixed with my 70D. Since the lens's focusing helices are optimized for close-up work it is difficult to use manual focusing for work at distances greater than 1m, and I see that the Sigma focusing works similarly. Also, the narrow FoV using a 160mm "equivalent" lens on a 1.6 crop-factor sensor means your portrait space must be big enough for you to get some distance between you and your subject. My 18-135 zoom works much better, in general, for portrait work.

I am currently experimenting with extension tubes on my 100mm macro, getting around 2x magnification, according to the classic ruler method. So far I have no photos worth posting from this experimentation.
Shane

bilgola

Starting out in Macro

Post by bilgola »

Thanks for your thoughts Shane. My impression is that Sigma channeled Canon
on this lens and reviews I have read suggest that while the Canon is better its not a lot better and is likely to be a sound enough starting point for a wannabe Macro photographer like me.

I understand what you are saying about its use in portraiture and the crop relationship and I hadn't considered that. Having said that, if I'm honest I don't do a lot of portraiture and am probably using that to justify my purchase to my significant other.

I will be interested in seeing the results of your extension tube experiments.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Mike

Shane C

Re: Starting out in Macro

Post by Shane C »

bilgola wrote:I understand what you are saying about its use in portraiture and the crop relationship and I hadn't considered that. Having said that, if I'm honest I don't do a lot of portraiture and am probably using that to justify my purchase to my significant other.
Don't get me wrong here; the lens works very well for portraits if you can use its AF capabilities and have a good space. Using my old 20D (hadn't acquired the 70D yet), here is an example, taken using two flashes in umbrellas.

Shane

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Sigmas macros are all fine (now), it seems. You can add short tubes, a teleconverter or try good quality close-up Dioptres (See Raynox) or fairly cheap microscope objectives (see eg Nikon BE) to go closer :).
Chris R

bilgola

Picking up Sigma 105mm tomorrow

Post by bilgola »

Thanks for the encouragement...I am picking the lens up tomorrow. I will play with it for a while and post anything I think has promise for comment.

I have never been a fan of flash in general photography but the right ring flash seems to be something that could be important????

The prices seem to go from $50 to several hundred...its confusing, any advice. Its not something that is a priority at the moment and I will use natural light until I feel confident with the lens.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Ring flashes are useful but in most cases not the best illumination devices as they provide flat and too frontal light, and the reflections have a not very nice ring shape. A normal flashgun with a diffuser is a more versatile and often cheap light source.

At http://orionmystery.blogspot.com.es/200 ... d-now.html you have lots of good ideas from one our best macrophotographers
Pau

bilgola

First Images

Post by bilgola »

I have the lens and so far am very pleased. Attached are my first images...not exactly very macro I admit but moving in that direction. Truth be told it was a gloomy evening and mostly experimental, but I thought a good test of the lens.

Image 1 is of my grand daughter...I had already seen this image and taken it with a 35mm prime which of course had to be cropped down so far it was almost postage stamp size (well almost). With the Sigma the crop still gave me roughly an A3 image.

Image 2 is the filliment of a fancy lamp we have very quick and rough but I was very please with the result.

After reading a couple of reviews I have today bought a Ring Flash...I take on board what Pau said but I can't afford to invest some of the other options and I think I need more experience if I am going to build something myself. Neither of the above were taken with the flash by the way.

Be interested in and thoughts you have on my first efforts. Regards,

Mike

bilgola

Pics

Post by bilgola »

For some reason my images didn't load???

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Pics

Post by rjlittlefield »

These are looking good.
bilgola wrote:For some reason my images didn't load???
It can be a bit tricky to get the image upload facility to both upload your image and insert appropriate tags into the posting so that the image displays.

For more information see the "Image Hosting Steps" at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7, paying particular attention to steps 5 and 6.

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Mike,

Nice first lights with your new lens. Your granddaughter's eyes--high-key shots are hard to bring off, and you've done it very well.

Seeing this and the work in your portfolio, I think you are too aware of light, and careful with it, to find any happiness with a ring flash. Hopefully, the one you bought is returnable. Orionmystery's Website, which Pau linked to, shows lots of simple ways of using an inexpensive speedlight (such as a Yonguo), with a homemade diffuser. That's a much more likely direction to proceed.

I'm possessed of a ring flash only because the fellow I borrowed if from years ago dislikes it so much he won't let me give it back.

(Did you hear the one about the photographer who left a ring flash sitting in plain sight on the front seat of his car? While he was gone, some scoundrel jimmied the lock. When the photog came back, he found two ring flashes sitting on the front seat. ;))

--Chris

bilgola

Ring Flash

Post by bilgola »

Thanks Chris for your kind comments...love the joke about the ring flash, its so funny there has to be truth in what you say.

I am sure my pathway to good macro images will have its many errors but as someone once said to me there are nothing like mistakes to reinforce learning. Plus the investment in this error (ring flash) was not costly and were it not for your story I might be tempted to leave it in my unlocked car...But do I need two of them.

Regards,

Mike :D

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I'm not so radical as my fellow Chris about ring flashes, I have one and like it but mostly because it's the rare old Oly T10 with cross pol filter.

Enjoy it before leaving it at the car or at the forgotten drawer.
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic