Pol scopes, Vickers M70, Leica somethingorother

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Pol scopes, Vickers M70, Leica somethingorother

Post by ChrisR »

I'd like to try the Vickers first, because it has 3 objectives (3,10,40?) and a quartz wedge.
The Leica is a basic model, which now only has 4x and 10x objectives (I'll be looking for something higher).

I have two heads for the Vickers, one with a 29mm diameter tube and the other smaller, which looks "standard".

Does anyone know if these will use "compensating" eyepieces? I have two of the wider ones, both 10x, but one looks normal to me whereas the other has no stops in it, the glass is full diameter. Maybe one is high eyepoint, I don't know yet.
If the answer is no then I'll arrange a camera on a tube for direct projection.

Next question: would the higher magnification/NA objectives have been available in both "met" (no coverslip) and 0.17 versions of "Pol"?

The Vickers is very like this. Tha caption is M14 but I was told mine's an M70.:
http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes ... 14_pol.JPG
Chris R

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

Chris

Look for the serial number. On Vickers microscopes, the first 2 digits are the model number.

Alan Wood

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

M70 then, thanks Alan.

it doesn't have the epi light attachment those are often shown with. :(
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic