In-camera focus bracketing with Olympus OMD M1 part 2

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

wayupnorth

Post by wayupnorth »

Naturally I have been following this thread and it is nice to see there are others out there making the most of bracketing/stacking. I am well and truly hooked on both options and kick myself when I forget to to take advantage.

Having made the switch from Nikon to Olympus last year I am really pleased with the new system and the pro lenses are excellent. Looking forward to the M1 mk2 so I have a backup and to save changing lenses plus a few more pixels and the high res mode. This should keep me happy until the Mk 3 arrives....

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

g4lab wrote:This forum is a completely wonderful place for sharing information. I have learned so much that eliminated what would have been time consuming trial and error.

I think the forum should have a national holiday for Rogelio Moreno for working out the use of tube lenses with Miti type lenses. Or an "Appreciate Rik Littlefields tutorials and experimental demos day" There have been so many other such wonderful shares too. If I said "I love this forum" everytime the thought occured to me I would be very repetitive.
Hear, Hear...............

Without this forum I would not be enjoying this type of photography at the start of my retirement from paid employment.

I wish that I could post more but the moderators are so quick and helpful not to mention experienced Members.

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

wayupnorth wrote:Naturally I have been following this thread and it is nice to see there are others out there making the most of bracketing/stacking. I am well and truly hooked on both options and kick myself when I forget to to take advantage. ...
Very much interested on the ongoing discussion - I have one question on the focus bracketing (either in OM-D EM 5 Mark 2 and D-M1) available ? in what shooting modes i.e. P, M, A and S ...

Thanks,
Vishnu

elf

Post by elf »

Even my elderly E330 does focus bracketing. Unfortunately, none of my macro lens are autofocusing.

vikcious

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 as tube lens

Post by vikcious »

Hi fellows,

I am new to photomacrography and while I am eager to learn I don't want to go on a shopping spree all for nothing.

I own an Olympus OM-D EM-1 and 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. Can anyone please confirm if Olympus ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro could be used as a tube lens for an infinity objective (say Nikon CFI Plan Achromat 10x NA 0.25 WD 10.5mm or any other working Nikon 4x / Olympus one)?
If so, any link or further documentation would be much appreciated.

I have found this adapter to be a possible match for the microscope lens.
http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapters/ad ... ion_tabbed

Thanks a lot for any help.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome to the forum Vikcious!

"Infinite" Microscope objectives are designed for a "tube" lens of about 200mm.
60mm wouldn't work:
The magnification would be (60/200) x 10x, which is 3x
but more importantly, the image circle wouldn't be big enough to cover your sensor.
Chris R

vikcious

Post by vikcious »

ChrisR wrote:Welcome to the forum Vikcious!

"Infinite" Microscope objectives are designed for a "tube" lens of about 200mm.
60mm wouldn't work:
The magnification would be (60/200) x 10x, which is 3x
but more importantly, the image circle wouldn't be big enough to cover your sensor.
Thanks for the prompt reply @ChrisR.
I still don't get it how comes it works with 40-150mm f/2.8 when it's still 150mm?! What am I missing?

Basically this means the following are the only options to go micro on Olympus OM-D EM-1 (just a recap for me):
- use Olympus ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro + extension tubes (max 3x on FF)
- use Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm (@150mm) + microscope lens

Any other feasible options for this body / platform? Though that the newly added Focus BKT feature would unleash its prowess but it looks like the lens line it's not yet there.

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

chuong nguyen wrote:I just want to share that the Olympus 40-150 2.8 could be used as tube lens with inf corrected lens/objective for stacking.

The image was taken with Olym Zoom at 150 FL + Nik CFI 4X .13 NA, 500stack.Image
Great image! curious, how far (distance) your Oly 40-150 mm + 4x Obj is from insect ?

Thanks,
Vishnu

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 as tube lens

Post by Pau »

vikcious wrote:I have found this adapter to be a possible match for the microscope lens.
http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapters/ad ... ion_tabbed
Be aware that this adapter is for direct mounting on a m4/3 camera body or extension tubes, to mount it on a camera lens you need a much more usual adapter to your lens filter thread.
Can anyone please confirm if Olympus ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro could be used as a tube lens for an infinity objective
No, I can't but it could be tried. This would be equivalent to use a 120mm tube lens on FF sensor, is very likely to get vignette as Chris thinks but some objectives could have a big enough image circle to be workable with some cropping.
If you don't have a longer lens you can also put a teleconverter between the camera and lens.
Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

vikcious wrote:I still don't get it how comes it works with 40-150mm f/2.8 when it's still 150mm?! What am I missing?
Both the magnification and the size of the image circle vary in direct proportion to focal length of the tube lens.

Suppose the objective is designed for 10X with a 200 mm tube lens and it gives a high quality circle of 40 mm diameter at that magnification.

Then when you put it on a 150 mm tube lens it gives 7.5X and covers 30 mm diameter. 10*(150/200) = 7.5 and 40*(150/200) = 30.

But when you put it on a 60 mm tube lens, it only gives 3X and covers 12 mm diameter. 10*(60/200) = 3 and 40*(60/200) = 12.

I've chosen numbers that are convenient for illustration. The actual coverage may be larger, particularly if you're prepared to accept some quality loss toward the edges. I would expect vignetting, but if you have equipment handy to try it, you should do that.

--Rik

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Very much interested on the ongoing discussion - I have one question on the focus bracketing (either in OM-D EM 5 Mark 2 and D-M1) available ? in what shooting modes i.e. P, M, A and S ...
According to the manual, page 90(bracketing, all types):
"Cannot be used during HDR photography.
Cannot be used at the same time as time lapse shooting.
You cannot shoot during bracket shooting if there is not enough space on the camera's memory card for the selected number of frames."

and on page 174( the firmware update):
"For flash shooting set the shutter speed to 1/20 second or slower.
Focus Bracketing is not available with lenses that have mounts conforming to the Four-Thirds standard.
Focus Bracketing Ends if the zoom or focus is adjusted during shooting.
Shooting ends when focus reaches infinity."

That is all it says about the subject.

chuong nguyen

Post by chuong nguyen »

Vish_007 wrote:
chuong nguyen wrote:I just want to share that the Olympus 40-150 2.8 could be used as tube lens with inf corrected lens/objective for stacking.

The image was taken with Olym Zoom at 150 FL + Nik CFI 4X .13 NA, 500stack.Image
Great image! curious, how far (distance) your Oly 40-150 mm + 4x Obj is from insect ?

Thanks,
I did not measure the distance, but it should be close to the design of the objective at about 17 mm.

wayupnorth

Post by wayupnorth »

Thanks,
In order to maintain constant exposure between shots P, A & S are unsuitable so the camera should be used in manual.

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

I have the OMD-EM10II plus the 60mm macro and teh Olympus ED 50/2 macro(4/3) mount. I have tried the in camera focus stacking which only works with the 60mm macro it , as Olympus states does not work with adapted 4/3 lenses . In the field it is great but I have to guess which increment to set. On a macro rig I have a problem with guessing. that being I have no idea what the 1-10 differential in the bracketing menu refers to. I have read in an online speculation that 1 ( the smallest step) might relate to .75 of the DOF but I have no idea if that is correct.
An inquiry to Olympus was responded to with a less than helpful reply. They just sent me a link to a page on how to calculate DOF, when I said that wasn't what I asked for I was told they were not allowed to give out the information I asked for as it was commercially sensitive. So I reverted to the stack shot.
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

How depressing!
We can all think of ways to try to work it out, but giving no guide at all doesn't earn them any respect.

Does the "0.75 x dof" theory seem to work? Does it change with aperture?
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic