Lighting makes a difference

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro Photog

Lighting makes a difference

Post by Macro Photog »

I wanted to share this with the forum to show how just repositioning lighting can make a big difference.

I took these shots last year but was not able post them until now. They are of the same specimen and orientation but with repositioned lighting. The specimen was sent to me to shoot for the left shot (blue needles - layman term) but when I lit the piece a different way the matrix in the left shot appeared. The blue needles are physically in front of the matrix. It was quite a surprise as the matrix is very suppressed (almost invisible) with no lighting. Both shots include bottom and back lighting. The matrix became apparent when the bottom lighting was moved to the rear and front light was suppressed. The same lighting was used in both shots. I apologize for the quality of the shots. I'm terrible at uploading to sites.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

It's like a completely different specimen!

Jim70

Post by Jim70 »

Nice shots. You're right, lighting can bring out different features. I wonder how it would look using a polarizer. You might see some additional features if you could light it with a UV lamp.
Jim

Macro Photog

Post by Macro Photog »

Thanks. Using UV is an interesting idea. Unfortunately the specimen has been returned to the owner but I will consider that as a possibility in the future.

I worked with the files a little more and I am up loading ones with somewhat higher quality. Hopefully these will give you a better idea of what is going on in the different lighting conditions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic