Software

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

carld

Software

Post by carld »

What is the best software to use with a microscope,since the one I bought does not come with any? I want to use either my canon 5d mk iii or my 7d mk ii. It is a compound microscope and trinocular with both light and darkfield illumination. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

BTW, manual microscopes don't need any software, what's yours?

For the camera Canon Utility is very nice and free (a copy can be dowloaded from the Canon site with your camera serial number). It allows to live view the image at your computer monitor and to control most important camera parametres and fire the shutter from the computer, and of course to save the files directly to the hard disk).

Digital Photo Professional is a good RAW converter and has some useful editing tools. It also comes for free with your camera or can be downloaded. A more powerful image editor like Photoshop is also nice to have.

To do extended focus depth you need a stacking software, the more popular here are Zerene Stacker, Helicon Focus and the freeware Combine ZP.
Pau

carld

Post by carld »

Thanks Pau, I thought I needed some special conversion software.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic