A question about Tiyoda 1x 0.025 objective.

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mpan

A question about Tiyoda 1x 0.025 objective.

Post by mpan »

I would like to know if this spring loaded objective can stay fixed at the up position with some sort of push and twist motion or am I supposed to use my fingers to keep it in the up position?
Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Do you have a link? :?
Spring loading is usually for high magnification, short Working Distance objectives, so they do less damage when you crash them into the slide.

mpan

Post by mpan »

there happens to be one similar to mine on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRING-LOADED-P ... 3d044fa949
Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ah - , the WD of those is very short, because it's hard to make a 200mm focal length lens parfocal on a microscope. So I'm guessing it's the same reason to be sprung. You wouldn't USE the objective with the front pushed in, for any reason.

mpan

Post by mpan »

Thanks for the reply, but I guess I should've been more specific or maybe asked in a different forum? I'm using it on a dslr and Im trying to get the image bigger(the image is in a circle and black fills the rest) and while doing so I've noticed a large improvement when the lens is up. Again, thanks for the reply, because I do intend to use it on my microscope...,but on a dslr do you think there's a way to keep the lens up?
Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

There's probably no built-in mechanism for locking the lens up.

No doubt you can add one, using any of several DIY methods involving adhesives and so on.

However...

That lens is designed to be used at 1:1, at effective f/20 (=1/(2*0.025)), and with vanishingly small working distance -- hence the spring.

Used within the frame of a microscope, it provides a valuable service for imaging a field the same diameter as the eyepiece stop.

Used outside the frame of a microscope, it will perform the same service, but suddenly that's a lot less valuable because any ordinary macro lens or repurposed enlarger lens will give the same magnification, with much longer working distance, over the full field of the sensor, and with a wider optimum aperture which implies a sharper image and faster exposures.

So I'm wondering, are you sure you want to jury-rig this lens to do that job?

--Rik

mpan

Post by mpan »

Rik, thanks for the information! I don't plan on altering the lens, well at least not anymore,lol. Thank you all very much for taking the time to help a beginner out!
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic