Aphid mummy II... body snatcher revealed!

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Aphid mummy II... body snatcher revealed!

Post by Charles Krebs »

A week ago I posted a couple shots of a parasitized aphid and the larva inside. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=2818

I put a couple of the "mummies" in a jar to see what emerged. Yesterday I found that one had chewed its way out. It was indeed a small parasitic wasp.

The top image shows the exit hole that the wasp made to get out. In this picture you can also see the "glue" that the larva had used to attach the aphid to the leaf.

The second shot is of the tiny wasp that emerged. (I calculated that the head is only about .03" wide). Had all sorts of complications trying to photograph the wasp last night... hopefully I've sorted things out and will get some better shots today, but this gives you an idea of what was inside.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I had a feeling you were going to do this Charles and you never disappoint. Excellent follow up and beautiful photos.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

mowse

Post by mowse »

Killer images. The wasp looks wet, shiny, and new. It practically leaps off of the screen. Well done.

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

This is spectacular Charles! I’ll stop shooting macro now! ;)

What amazes me most is the way your subjects are lit at this magnification.

Best,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic