Crab Tree Falls

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Crab Tree Falls

Post by Ken Ramos »

Went to Crab Tree Falls today, thought you all might like to take a peek. Crab Tree Falls is located on the Blue Ridge Parkway if you are ever out this way, Milepost BRP 339.5 Crab Tree Camping and Picnic Grounds Area. :D

The falls are about 70 feet high and still though we have had below average rainfall in the area, quite impressive. It is two miles down a moderately strenuous trail to get to the falls. The trail is easy enough going down, then there are three flights of stone stairs, still going down, and then finally a rough, large and small loose rock trail to the bottom of the falls. Notice the washed down debris at the bottom of the falls, whole trees, logs, and such, large boulders. When we do get a measureable amount of rain, this waterfall really gets to going.

As you can see there are not many people around the falls, only about fifteen at the most, not counting myself of course. This alone tells you that most folks are not going to exert the effort to visit here even though they are camped just above the falls. As I said the trail is easy enough going down but it is, as you have already figured, all up hill coming out and believe me it seems a lot longer coming out than going in. :roll: This last image I did not do anything to other than to resize, it is actually that dark down there. Very little sunlight, as you can see, makes its way through the forest canopy, it is a constant struggle between small plants and trees for sunlight and should you ever get the chance to go down in there, you will immediately notice the lack of underbrush in the forest area due to the competition for sunlight.

Oh by the way, if you do ever get the chance to go to Crab Tree Falls, don't venture to far off the trail...its a long way down to the bottom. Nuff said :shock:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic