Most likely the most common question. Will these lenses work

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalhoff

Most likely the most common question. Will these lenses work

Post by Dalhoff »

My current hardware status is that I have a Nikon DSLR and purched an old Jena microscope lense and now trying to figure out if doable at all to make those 2 Things working together.

The lense is a planachromat 12,5x/0,25
My question is.

1. What do I need to mount the lense onto on a Nikon DSLR and a price range by any change?

Most likely this has been answered already somewhere in here, but due to the ton of posts it has been hard to find the answer.

Assume my question is the most common one when trying to get started doing macro with a lense like that, right?

Thanks for any reply that will guide me in this new world og photography
Last edited by Dalhoff on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome to the forum!

See the FAQ section for using your objective on a camera. Yours will be a "finite" one
How can I hook up a microscope objective to my camera?

Or it may be better to use an "Afocal" method - search on that.
The reason is that your objective expects corrections to be made in the eyepiece, so you'll lose quality if you don't use one. (Due to chromatic aberrations).
You may or may not have the correct type of eyepice for afocal - can you use yours with spectacles?

Pictures of the lens/microscope could be useful.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Most likely the most common question

Post by Chris S. »

(Edit: I see that ChrisR out-typed me./Chris S.)

Dalhoff, welcome to the forum! :D

I would suggest reading the FAQ How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera?.

If you have questions after reading that, just ask.

In the meantime, perhaps someone can tell you if a Jena planachromat 12.5x/0.25 is a candidate for mounting on a camera without a microscope. I suspect it is not, though have no personal knowledge of this lens.

As you may know, many microscope objectives require additional optics to correct chromatic (and sometimes other) aberrations. This is very impractical for macro photography, so we use microscope objectives that do not require additional corrective optics. Most often, this means certain Nikon, Mitutoyo, or Olympus objectives (although not every objective within these brands qualifies). Certain older American Optical objectives have also been demonstrated to work well.

I would suggest waiting until someone who knows your lens confirms whether or not it is internally corrected.

Cheers,

--Chris

harisA

Post by harisA »

If you bought the GF planachromat with 25mm thread then you have an infinity fully chroma corrected objective.This needs a tube lens of 250mm focal distance. (A 200mm will also work but will provide less magnification).

There is also another planachromat 12.5x from JENA which is also infinity but has a 19mm thread (smaller than rms).I never had this lens but i think that it needs color correction eyepiece.

So let us know which one you have so we can help you.........

Dalhoff

Post by Dalhoff »

Images added to the first post

harisA

Post by harisA »

Unfortunately you have the 19mm type.

According to the following thread these need chromatic correction.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... a68ddee36e

Also it will be very difficult to mount one of these in front of a telephoto lens since they are 19mm.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic