Suitability of DPLAN Apo UV objectives for polarising photo

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroB

Suitability of DPLAN Apo UV objectives for polarising photo

Post by MacroB »

Hello,

Have been offered an Olympus BH2 with DPLAN Apos 10,20 & 40 UV objectives.

While I believe DPLAN Apos are top of the range for photography I'm unsure about that UV suffix.

Would they be suitable for working with polarisation?

Regards,
Bob

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi Bob,

- For normal cross pol photomicrography as usual in the forum most objectives work very well. I only did have issues with some very bad quality achromats and with a Olympus Plan severely abused, most objectives I've tested from plain chinese achromats to old german plan apos work well. For critical work (quantitative) the objectives need to be marked Pol (or red lettering with some makers). Very likely they will work fine.

- UV refers to UltraViolet, objectives used for epifluorescence with UV light.

- I recall some post comparing DPlan apos with SPlan apos and the later are better: wider coverage and less chromatic aberration, but DPlan apos seem to be an excellent option if the price is reasonable.
Pau

MacroB

Post by MacroB »

Hello Pau,

Many thanks for telling me about the objectives that's a great help.

All the Best.
Bob

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Posts found:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 7347#97347

http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/

Because they have specific DIC prims designed for them they are undoubtly adequate for pol work

Search for Dplan at the forum and you'll find wonderful pictures taken with those objectives, mainly by Charles Krebs
Pau

MacroB

Post by MacroB »

Hello Pau,

Thanks for the references. A bit technical some of it for me but you've fired me up. Have ordered an Olypus BH2 and am just reading up on the ordinary and extra ordinary rays that exit the analiser.

Have got a lot to learn but it's exciting and it is the comments and photos that I've seen on this forum that inspire one. Thanks to everyone, it's a great community/

Regards,
Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic