Newbie equipment questions

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Spiffypix

Newbie equipment questions

Post by Spiffypix »

hi everyone -

I'm obsessed with macro photography and want to get a microscope and use my camera to shoot what I'm seeing in the microscope. I know nothing about microscopes. I understand that dark illumination is better than bright field illumination for photographing, let's say, butterfly wings.

I own a Canon 6D and I own a 100mm macro, a 180mm macro and the MP-E 65mm macro lens.

Is there a way for me to get a complete microscope set up for $500? Can you please help me by telling me what I need to purchase?

Is this microscope sufficient or do I need a third eyepiece?

http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/product ... oCq1fw_wcB

Thanks so much for your help!

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there,
I´m no expert, but I use an AmScope Trinocular microscope. There you have a separate photo column. Then with an adapter you can use your DSLR.
I bought mine from eBay. I think the company is called Precision World. Search for "Trinocular Microscope". The same company has adaptors as well as Darkfield condenser.
Hope this is some help for you.....
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Spiffypix

Post by Spiffypix »

Thank you!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Welcome.

I can sense your enthusiasm... but pause and take a deep breath :wink: :wink:

It would really be best to first learn a little more about the various microscope configurations... what set-ups are best for the types of subjects that interest you, and thus can let you produce the types of images you want to make.

There are two basic types of illumination with microscopes reflected light (episcopic) and transmitted light (diascopic). While there is certainly some cross-over capabilities, often the equipment will be specific to one method or another.

Within transmitted and reflected light modes, there are different lighting techniques that can be used. With transmitted light the most common are brightfield (and oblique brightfield), darkfield, phase contrast, and DIC (differential interference contrast). Polarized light can be used to great effect with some of these techniques. With reflected light you can use a dedicated microscope "vertical illuminator" (brightfield or darkfield), or "external" lights of all sorts to establish a variety of lighting.

Understanding these basic techniques, and making an assessment of the subjects and types of images you want to make will be extremely helpful in choosing the most appropriate equipment. (Which can save a great deal of time, money, and minimize frustration).

Spiffypix

Post by Spiffypix »

Thank you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic