ladybird larva and "mayfly"?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

ladybird larva and "mayfly"?

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I'm fairly sure that the red and black creature is a ladybird beetle larva, no real idea of what the "fly" near it is. I'm guessing some sort of mayfly. This is about 1.4x magnification taking digital crop factor into account. Taken in Eastern Washington on the same hike as the butterfly I've been posting.

Rebel XTi and 180mm macro lens
flash and natural light
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Mike - it´s always interesting to see what´s crawling around on the other side of the planet. :D So thanks for sharing your sights.

You are right about the beetle larva.

The other insect isn´t a mayfly (Ephemeroptera).
It could be an imago of the order Trichoptera which I think are called caddis flies in English. These are more closely related to the Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths), and on first glance can be confused with a moth.

Moths have scales on the wings/body and different mouthparts, but these features can´t be judged from your picture above. However, it´s the forward position of the antennae that make me tend more towards Trichoptera because moths generally fold their antennae back when they are resting.
On the other hand the webs on the plant that can be seen on your photo look like being spun by moth larvae.:-k

Maybe someone like Rik who is more adept in your local Lepidoptera knows more. Let´s wait ´n see. :D

Cheers,
Betty

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'd go with Trichoptera also, and yep, it's "caddis fly" or "caddisfly" in English. (Google reports about 2:1 in favor of no space.)

I have occasionally been faked out by these things even when I had the real insect in front of me. We do have some moths that might be found with their antennae positioned like that. But from the picture I'm pretty confident that the thorax is naked or almost so, and the slightly transparent appearance of the wings is typical for our caddisflies. I have never seen that combination turn out to be a moth on close examination, but I wouldn't stake my life on the ID, either.

The caddisfly and the beetle larva make a nice contrast -- a very pleasant picture. :D

--Rik

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I buy the caddis fly ID. There were a lot of these guys around this area when I was there, and based on their appearance, I ruled out moth as an ID, though I can't really say why.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Okay I'll put my two cents in, how about a Tent Wing Caddis, size 12 1X. I've got some smokey duck wing patterns round here somewhere. I am in favor of a more open loop with a gentle presentation or maybe a up and cross stream presentation, dead drift with a little line mending along the way. Tight lines all! :wink:

Yep looks like a caddis to me too. Nice photo Mike :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

A great find Mike. It is always special when you can get more than one type of insect in a picture.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeah Mike, "bonus bugs" are cool. 8)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic