new member and zeiss questions.

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

solartje,

I hate to burst your bubble, but after 40 years or so working in hospital clinical labs, I can assure you "live blood analysis" doesn't work.

For someone to tell you it does is simply fraud.

It is extraordinarily rare to see bacterial organisms in peripheral blood even in severe, rapidly fatal septicemia. Mycoplasma and rickettsia are too small to see, even if there were enough there. The videos you've posted don't show parasites or bacteria. The motion is Brownian motion, nothing more.

Reputable labs never look at "live" (liquid) blood samples microscopically to diagnose infections. Wright or Giemsa stained smears can demonstrate parasites such as malaria. VERY rarely bacteria or yeast may be seen in massive infections. It is so rare, no lab I know of will ever stain a direct blood smear for bacterial or yeast infections.

In your non-stained specimens you're really wasting your time, and not seeing what you think you are. Even fluorescence techniques are essentially useless on direct, non-concentrated or cultured specimens.

Believe me, if this stuff worked, we would use it.

Microscopy is great fun as a hobby, and extremely useful clinically if done correctly, on the correct specimens, with the correct stains. It is very, very misleading otherwise.

Enjoy your new hobby, just don't try to self-diagnose. Without the proper techniques and equipment. you'll only be lying to yourself.

Tom

solartje

Post by solartje »

Hey, first of all again, thanks for taking the time to answer.

@disco: price looks reasonable / slide, but the total investment is to high for me at the moment and not sure I'll want to invest it in the future. I might have access to them with someone in my family, so unless she can help me out with some IF antibodies for a couple of slides, i think I'll pass on the IF.

@tom: just to be clear , I'm not diagnosing myself or someone else. we are "lucky" to have a positive bloodtest. me for Bb and my wife for Bb and 2other co-infections. I read allot about the controversy about DF as a diagnostic tool before I started. and allot of *** pseudo doctors have done allot of fraudulent things. I totally agree with you on that part. I just wanted to see with my own eyes what that little Bb bastards inside my body look like. nothing more , nothing less and giemsa protocol has been recognized as being OK to find malaria but also borrelia and bartonella right? there's nothing pseudo-science or fraudulent about that . I'm not looking into yeast, fat/sugarproblems and all that

I have been thinking about BSK II cultures to increase my odds. I've read some good protocols that will increase the odds by alot. I know the odds are still rare, but i have 100 slides and allot of time :) worst case, i had fun searching.
Even if i wont be able to say for sure wich is wich exactly, except from : "hey, thats something blue, and it shouldn't be there" thats enough. i don't need to know his adres and tel number :-)

now i must agree on my old vids, they where probably just pieces of dying red blood cells in Brownian motion, no idea what the string of pearls was. (i must admit its weird to imagine something with a donut form when dying, gives string like things coming out of it. ) I've seen them in healthy blood samples too, so i know that was not Bb. but I'm not sure 100% of what I've seen in my blood is BM, because sometimes I find something thicker (right after the sample was made , and the RBC still intact, that has the correct size, speed, movement) and it just moves one full eyefield in a couple of seconds where all the rest just kinda stays in one place like with some random small movement. I'm starting to understand visually the difference between motility and Brownian motion, and doesn't sound like BM, but this is all just speculation. even just looking at a macrophage chase or eat something would be very cool.

U can rest assure i wont use my DF to diagnose or use medication or some supplement because i found something. I'm just very very curious

i haven't done any blood samples for weeks, and I'm trying to find diatoms now, but no luck yet. best i could find was a small water bacteria and some super nice green algae. in DF the algae looks amazing. those colours = :smt055. the more i use my microscope the more I admire the colours of nature. man made things can never come close to the colour and beauty of nature.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic