My Memorial Day Weekend

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

My Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Ken Ramos »

One of these images I have posted before in another forum but I will post it again as it is to be expounded upon.

This is the Linn Cove Viaduct. Built at an elevation of 4,100 feet along the side of Grandfathers Mountain here in North Carolina, along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I come here or used to come here often before the price of fuel went sky high. The viaduct is built from 153 pre-cast segments, each weighing in at 50 tons, that were manufactured in a building not to far away from the site. The construction began in 1979 and finished in 1983 at a cost of 10 million dollars.

It was quite an engineering feat since the bridge was built from the top down and the only on the ground work that was done was to drill into the rock below for to anchor the bridge pylons. What is interesting here is that the bridge is designed to withstand an earthquake, should we just so happen to have one here. It is said that if an earthquake should occur in this area it will be most catastrophic.

If you will notice, in the center of the pylon there is a cone shaped structure rising into one of the bridge segments and looking closely on either side you can just bearly make out the rubber blocks on which the segment also rests. In the event of a quake the bridge will sway on these pivitol points that are on each of the seven pylons on which the bridge rests.

Here below the viaduct one can see the individual segments as they curve around the mountain side, they are glued together with epoxy by the way. There is a wheel chair accessable trail that runs for about 1/4 mile, I guess, along and beneath the viaduct and there are numerous wildflowers and trees along the way. There is also a cold mountain spring that provides a small stream along the paved trail. At the far end of the trail you may see a wood fence. This begins the trail head to the Tanawha trail which can take you all the way, 11 miles, to Julian Price Lake. At that point wheel chair accessability ends, unless it has four wheel drive and a winch in the front, it is a steep and rugged trek to the main trail above. Another trail links up to this, I think and it is the Mountains to Sea Trail which runs the length of the state. I have some more photographs that were taken in this area and a couple beyond this point but this is just one of the things I did this Memorial Day, holiday weekend, that I rarely get to do anymore. :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Glad you were able to get out afar, Ken. I have another friend who lives in NC who thinks Grandfather Mountain is a top-notch spot for photography, you're lucky to get to go there!

Where we live definitely affects our prospects. I'm fortunate in that Oklahoma (generally considered a third-string location for nature photography) has one national wildlife refuge that is a pretty good place to shoot large mammals (mainly elk, bison, and longhorn steers). One of the good things about macro is that there are bugs and flowers almost anywhere you go, however!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yep your right Mike. Insects are probably one of the major things that one would not run out of when shooting macros. :D

Thanks Mike :D

salden

Post by salden »

Beautiful area Ken. I hope insects can be found everywhere because I am heading to Southern Utah tomorrow for two weeks. For the weekend, I have to drive down to Las Vegas to attend my granddaughter's high school graduation and plan on taking my time on the drive back Saturday for photography.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Utah is pretty. I have driven through there. There is a large lake along the interstate, I70 I believe, that is very pretty and quite scenic as is some of the rest of the landscape along the highway. The name of the lake is Sevier if I am not mistaken. When I drove past it, many years ago, the lake appeared to rise up on the mountain in the distance, quite an optical illusion I thought. Also if my memory serves me well, the interstate actually crosses the lake at one point. You will like Utah. :smt045

Thanks Sue.

Don't spend to much money in Vegas :roll:

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Nice place Ken. I like the woods. :D
Ken Ramos wrote:...

Don't spend to much money in Vegas :roll:
Sue... for sake of everything don't impawn your photo equipment! :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

salden wrote:I have to drive down to Las Vegas to attend my granddaughter's high school graduation and plan on taking my time on the drive back Saturday for photography.
Valley of Fire State Park and Red Rock Canyon are well worth your time while you're near Vegas!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic