Back for another bash

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Chris S. wrote:Individual preferences certainly vary! :D
They do, and sometimes I find it interesting to ponder what the reasons might be.

I suspect a lot of them are just by inclination, something about how we're individually wired. I've come to think that I'm an "erector set" guy who would rather work with things that are bolted together rather than glued or welded. Probably that's why I like software -- nothing is ever cast in crystalline solids.

But also there are differences in experiences. My own experiences tend to involve hardware stores who advertise "glass cut to any size", and it turns out they really do mean "any size", not necessarily the one the customer specified. That combines with a lifetime of watching glue joints come apart, typically at the worst possible time long after I've forgotten about them. So, given a choice between a set of 42x1mm threaded metal joints and a couple of butt-fitted epoxy joints between dissimilar materials, you can bet that I'm highly predisposed to go for the metal threads.

As for the rest of the stuff, well, I'm reminded of the hazards of implicit assumptions. Just because a long tube consists of some short tubes screwed together, doesn't necessarily imply that they have to be taken apart again. That threaded set could be Protostar'd as a unit just as well as a straight tube of PVC could be, and it throws in a drawer just as well. Because of my inclinations I'd probably choose not to, but that's a separate issue.

So like I said, there are tradeoffs. Vive la différence!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic