Rodenstock Modular Focus fits Printing Nikkor 45mm thread

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dickb

Rodenstock Modular Focus fits Printing Nikkor 45mm thread

Post by dickb »

As I was testing a new toy, the Rodenstock Modular-Focus helical focus ring, I noticed its internal thread is M45*0.75. This thread is normally used to couple the front mount adapters, M39 or M32.5. But it also happens to be the mounting thread of some Printing Nikkors. I used to have a 95/2.8 and mounting that lens was a bit of a challenge. With this helicoid it would have been a lot easier. One possible problem is the location of the thread on the Printing-Nikkor, halfway along the barrel. When attaching the modular focus the maximum extension of 54mm may or may not be long enough to clear the rear of the barrel. In that case you would need some extra extension on the Rodenstock.

The relatively large inner diameter of the modular focus (53mm) makes it a good candidate for adapting some of my current oddly size lenses.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I recall that others have successfully used this on Printing Nikkors. But I can't remember who...

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The 95PN can mount either direction using the RMF unit. For reverse mounting (2:1 magnification) it can mount directly to the RMF. For forward mounting, one of the extensions that is made for the RMF is required. These extensions have a thin wall that fits the lower part of the barrel of the 95PN well for 1:2 magnification orientation.

The 105PN can also mount in reverse orientation, but its lower barrel is a bit larger diameter, and it does not fit inside the RMF extensions, so can't be mounted normally. This does not matter much, since the 105PN (unlike the 95PN) is symmetrical and thus mounting direction is irrelevant.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Ray, thanks for the info. I now have found your post from 2011 about these matching threads, so it obviously wasn't new information, just new to me..

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dickb wrote:Ray, thanks for the info. I now have found your post from 2011 about these matching threads, so it obviously wasn't new information, just new to me..
Are you aware of the nice M45-M42 adapter that Raf makes? This is the best working solution I've found for lenses like the 108LFOV, which has a flush rear M45 mount rather than M39. Also works great for the Printing-Nikkors in reverse.

kds315*

Post by kds315* »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
dickb wrote:Ray, thanks for the info. I now have found your post from 2011 about these matching threads, so it obviously wasn't new information, just new to me..
Are you aware of the nice M45-M42 adapter that Raf makes? This is the best working solution I've found for lenses like the 108LFOV, which has a flush rear M45 mount rather than M39. Also works great for the Printing-Nikkors in reverse.
Indeed, I gave Rafael my drawings, he then had them made and sells them on ebay and on his site rafcamera.com.
Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
http://www.pbase.com/kds315/uv_photos for UV Images and lens/filter info
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic