Blue background in microscopic images?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dragonblade

Blue background in microscopic images?

Post by dragonblade »

I do realise by now that brightfield illumination can be a bit plain with regards to imaging work with microscopes. However, recently Ive noticed some images that have a blue background. And the subject matter appears overall more colourful too. Very striking. I was wondering what type of lighting (or other techniques) are employed to achieve this?

There are some examples of this effect in this impressive video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W68XfPVqAEE

Sam236

Post by Sam236 »

HI

to answer your question: the video used the technique of DIC. If you translate the objective DIC slider counterclockwise, you will first see a darkfield like image then grey ( best for pseudo 3D), IF you continue, you would see a series of color from yellow to red to purple to blue and to green. the author of the video stopped at blue or green color.

It is a little difficult to understand without actually using the DIC equipments. I too find that blue color is more pleasing than the "regular" grey pseudo 3D, but the subjects does lose some contrast in blue color.

the second option is to use DIC and compensators, I can achieve the blue background with the combination of one wavelength compensator and a 1/4 wave. depends on the subjects, these combination of technique are quite helpful.

hope this helps. Sam

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The video in question was made using DIC.

But results of the same general character (blue background, colorful bugs) can also be made using a much simpler and less expensive technique called "Rheinberg illumination".

Search that term for more information.

--Rik

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Thankyou both of you. I have heard of the term DIC but had not investigated it as yet. I'll look up "Rheinberg illumination" as well. Can staining produce a blue background with sufficient contrast while using standard brightfield illumination? If so, could staining be used in a sample of pond water without any negative effects to the organisms?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic