Question about a photograph

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

phil m

Post by phil m »

Pau wrote:Phil, thank you for posting the test images. In fact your 80x .90 works clearly better than the oil objectives without oil (not really surprising) but still better than I could expect with covered specimens, and very well about lack of CA.
But your test slide has not fine detail to see actual resolution differences, I would recommend you diatom test slides for this purpose (none of the posted images have really fine detalils resolved).
About the camera, autofocus is really a bad thing in a microscope camera, can't you disable it?
the camera is not dedicated to the microscope, so no. i usually manage to work around it but getting the same specimen to focus in the same plane with differing objectives is a bit tricky. i do have another dedicated camera now , a Sony alpha 5000 , so as soon as the adapter arrives I will be doing focal photos.
I do have some diatom pictures prepared , as well as an uncovered picture of a fibre from the dyed label 1/2 cm. from the diatom. However, as I overstepped the bounds unknowingly with pictures last time, I would prefer if Chris Mower or other gave me the go ahead to post them.

phil m

Post by phil m »

I never really got a clearance to post more pictures , so it was suggested I start another thread related to this objective, in the technical discussion forum, which I have done.

Chris Mower

Post by Chris Mower »

Sorry if I have appeared to ignore everyone who had replied to my question on this thread but I hadn't realised that there had been any more replies to my post after the one from Rik. I must not have email notification turned on, and I have been busy with work so hadn't checked in. Must read the rest of the replies to catch up.

Chris

Chris Mower

Post by Chris Mower »

phil m wrote:The image is about the same. If you scan away from the covered specimen to the balsam ridge at the edge of the coverslip or do an epithelium smear on another part of the slide or focus on the inking of a label with transmitted light,in other words not change anything in the settup but just choose another uncovered available specimen, the image i spretty much similar.
Perhaps , if it is o.k. with Chris Mower, I could do just that and send some pictures. I used some reference slides to begin with that would give a baseline because the auto focus on my current camera is a bit difficult to control and those images are actually sharper to the eye than the camera captured.
Go ahead, fine by me.

Chris

phil m

Post by phil m »

thanks; Chris. It was suggested that I just start a new thread , which I did in the technical discussion section.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic