Introduction, and Questions re Darkfield on Lower-End Scopes

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hoarybat

Post by hoarybat »

Update: Another day, another broken scope from eBay.

I received the Axiostar Plus and was delighted with its size, silky focusing, ergonomics, and general fine condition.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of problems that have necessitated its return.

Most importantly, the bulb does not turn on. It was shipped with a bulb of incorrect wattage (30W). I put a correct 20W bulb in it, and it does not light up. The green power switch illuminates, so I'm guessing there's a wiring fault somewhere. In any case, the cost of repair feels like it will be quite high.

Of less importance was a mismatched objective -- the scope came with correct 10x and 100x A-Plan objectives, along with a loner 40x A-Plan Ph2 objective.

I'm getting frustrated with these eBay scopes (and return shipping is getting expensive).

Any ideas? I'm seriously considering picking up one of the $500 Zeiss Standard scopes with a phase contrast condenser and phase contrast objectives from UC Davis, instead of this eBay crapshoot.

This is really disappointing.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

hoarybat wrote:Update: I have an Axiostar Plus on the way. $290.24 shipped, but it needs a new bulb (and maybe more).
Wait a moment...

If the microscope is OK and only has electric fault don't return it, just one or two used plan achromat objectives will cost more than the whole price you paid. You can just power the lamp with an external power supply or adapt it to LED illumination, I just did it with my first 110V Standard when my son plugged it to 230V and the electonics burned out.
What other components did you got: trinocular, eyepieces, objectives, kind of condenser...?
Pau

hoarybat

Post by hoarybat »

Hi Pau,

I'm not sure LED conversion is easy/feasible on the Axiostar stand. The bulb sits in a recessed chamber in the base, and there doesn't look like there's a lot of room for an LED + heatsink. Plus, holes would almost certainly need to be drilled in the stand to accommodate wiring, etc. Here's a picture from the manual:

I verified that the fuses are fine.

I received the following:
-- Axiostar plus microscope stand (excellent mechanical condition, but electrical problem -- green switch illuminates, but light does not turn on).
-- Binocular tube 45°/20 ICS (excellent condition)
-- Eyepiece E-Pl 10x/20 (great glass, markings rubbed)
-- Eyepiece E-Pl 10x/20 foc. (great glass, markings rubbed)
-- Abbe condenser 0.9/1.25 (perfect shape, smooth diagram, no oil on blades, etc.)
-- A-Plan 10x/0.25 (fantastic shape, clean glass, no visible delamination, no wear on markings)
-- A-Plan 40x/0.65 Ph2 (fantastic shape, clean glass, no visible delamination, no wear on markings)
-- A-Plan 100x/1.25 Oil (fantastic shape, clean glass, no visible delamination, no wear on markings)

The mix of objectives is somewhat frustrating:

I've read that phase contrast objectives work decently for brightfield. I don't know, but suspect, that they don't work satisfactorily for darkfield.
For this specific scope, with these specific objectives, I'd need to either divest myself of the 40x Ph2 objective and get a normal 40x objective for darkfield, or would need to get the phase contrast condenser turret plus the missing phase contrast objectives if I wanted to implement phase contrast.

One other factor is the price of upgraded objectives -- only the Achroplan objectives are within the realm of future possibility (at ~ $150-300 each). I suspect, but have not yet done the price research to confirm, that upgrading non-infinity objectives will be much cheaper!

phil m

Post by phil m »

That is too bad about the ebay woes. Ebay can be a great resource but as with all used equipment, you have to ask the right questions. I have bought on ebay quite a bit and generally found things to be better than your experience but that said , I have had broken equipment arrive in the mail, too.
One of the things I do , before I buy anything on ebay, is ask a lot of questions, especially if the item is unusually cheap...... and then, I carefully weigh the answers against other factors, such as ease of repair and price of the unit.
If not already detailed in the description, a few questions will help smooth over the purchase. Does the illuminator work properly? When was the microscope last used? Have you looked through the optics; how are they? How is the focusing? Does the iris diaphragm work? Is the stage smooth and precise? Are there visible scratches on the oculars? Is there a cord or if needed a power supply?
If I am at all trepidatious , I ask the seller flat out if they will pay for return shipping. Any seller, who is not trying to slip one by, will agree to that, and most are willing to stand by what they are selling-----unless it is a true surplus liquidation and you can tell those.
I've seen some pretty weird listings. One, described as being tested and working , which was missing an illuminator. One described as being from a working environment that was missing it's head.
It is expected that a used microscope on ebay will need some work, unless it is described as being in perfect working order or as having been just serviced. I wouldn't give up on the Zeiss , yet. It might not take that much to bring it around. You do have some good objectives to start with...and too bad about the Microstar. That one was clearly beaten up. For the cost of 2x 40.00 you could have sent it to me and I would have fixed it for free.The focusing on those is very easy to repair and or set up. I probably have the replacement optics for it too. They are a lot better microscope than they get credit for. There are thousands of them still in use in professional settings, daily working perfectly and the range of optics and the relatively low cost of them is truly remarkable. There is a full range of excellent planachros, 3 planfluorites and a full range of planapos available for them. They are by my measure , the best buy in used microscopes on the market today, simply because they offer good to excellent quality pitted against a crappy name. They are also a very comfortable microscope to use, very ergonomic.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

This is a basic configuration, but still at a very low price for what you got... Of course it's your decision
Phase objectives work very well for BF, in fact the only real life issue is the ring shaped out ot focus bright spots is some cases.
hoarybat wrote:One other factor is the price of upgraded objectives -- only the Achroplan objectives are within the realm of future possibility (at ~ $150-300 each). I suspect, but have not yet done the price research to confirm, that upgrading non-infinity objectives will be much cheaper!
You're right, at least in most cases.
Pau

hoarybat

Post by hoarybat »

I'm not mechanically-savvy enough to retrofit an LED to the Axiostar. That, and the relative-affordability of better 160mm objectives and other accessories led me to the conclusion that the Axiostar is not the scope for me.

So, I stopped by the UC Davis bargain barn in person this morning to check out their scopes. I had the good fortune of running into a UCD microscope service tech, who helped me pick out a good one.

I'm now the proud owner of a Zeiss Standard scope w/ a binocular head.

The good:
  • -- It was recently serviced, and it operates beautifully.
    -- All glass is fantastic, with no delamination or scratches.
    -- It included the 4670178 phase contrast condenser turret.
    -- $430 out the door.
    --It works! Phase contrast is really cool.
The bad:
  • -- It has generic 10x 18mm eyepieces, not the corrected Zeiss KPL ones.
    --The objectives are old, and the 10x and 40x are bottom of the line:
    • --Carl Zeiss 10x/0.22 Ph1
      --Carl Zeiss 40x/0.65 Ph2
      --Carl Zeiss Plan 100/1.25 Ph3 Oel
I'm having a wonderful time learning to use it, and looking at almost-affordable (!!!) apochromatic objectives on eBay.

Thanks all for the support and advice. Hopefully, my next posts will include microphotographs!

hoarybat

Post by hoarybat »

A brief update:

I'm very glad that I returned the Axiostar Plus and went with a Standard.

Zeiss let me know that it would be approximately $500 to repair the Axiostar Plus based on the symptoms I described. I'm sure that a replacement LED light source would have been easy enough to have installed, but I'm not mechanically skilled enough to have pulled it off. Plus, the cheaper cost of 160mm objectives and accessories provides me with a nice upgrade path.

Also, I received the Zeiss Kpl-W 10x/18 high eyepoint eyepieces. While I haven't been able to put them to a rigorous test (since my condenser is quite misaligned right now and waiting on repairs), I'm quite relieved to confirm that they correct the severe chromatic aberration I was seeing with the uncorrected eyepieces.

I'm receiving the parts for a 3D-printed iPhone-to-eyepiece adapter later this week. The quality of my handheld iPhone shots was surprisingly decent, but achieving correct focus and alignment by hand was very frustrating. I can't wait to use the adapter!

I've been making slides of various fungal specimens, and have already found the microscope useful in confirming the identity of a mushroom species.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement!

-- Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic