Help with a good setup for a Nikon SMZ-U with a phototube

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Koorosh

Help with a good setup for a Nikon SMZ-U with a phototube

Post by Koorosh »

Hi everyone,
I recently bought an SMZ-U (for a very reasonable price!) followed by a purchase of a phototube, which is actually for an SMZ-10 but it fits fine.

I was hoping that somebody here could offer me some sound advice on a good camera and set-up that would suit the scope. I was told by someone that stereo microscopes probably aren't going to produce very good results, but I bought the phototube and would like to give it a try.

I have read around a bit about the subject, and understand that I first need some sort of lense that goes down the phototube, along with some other bits and bobs, but I really am not confident as to what I am actually looking for!

I've also been looking at cameras which I can buy for around the £400 mark secondhand. I've been mostly looking at a Nikon D7000 because it seemed to rate quite highly in a number of places in terms of image quality at that level of camera. However, I have also read that the image produced onto the sensor could be much smaller than the sensor, and that some cameras would be better suited.

As you can see, my thoughts and understandings are a bit all over the place. I basically want to know the optimum set-up with parts and advice on a good camera to suit it.

Thankyou :D [/b]

Koorosh

Post by Koorosh »

I'm sorry by the way- I don't know how to upload an image! The 'upload picture' tab doesn't work!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm sorry by the way- I don't know how to upload an image! The 'upload picture' tab doesn't work!
Have you tried following the instructions at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7 ?

If so, then where does the process go wrong?

If the problem is that "Upload picture" appears to do nothing, then check to see if you have popup windows blocked.

--Rik

Koorosh

Post by Koorosh »

Ah, got it working!

The top fitting on the phototube is attached by three screws. I'm uncertain as to whether that is an additional fitting or not?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic