www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Not sure what THIS is called...
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Not sure what THIS is called...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxkarthemighty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Not sure what THIS is called... Reply with quote

Does anybody know what "part" this actually is? It is a X-section of a Blackburn's Sphinx Moth the third plate from the tip of the abdomen. He must have been very recently dead when I found him because I could still move his legs about. So I had this feller frozen in an old honey jar and somewhat forgot about him. He was definitely all dried out inside, so I suppose that this could just be dried "moth juice" so to speak; it was flat and had obvious texturing that spoke otherwise, and seemed like it formed some function. I photographed this with a 10x objective on my Olympus BH-2 131 exposure, stacked of course with Zerene. Some contrast adjustments and sharpening added.

(Sorry for the stupid watermark, I only had a photo from my flickr stream on my desktop. I always watermark those, not that it matters these days I suppose) Better res http://www.flickr.com/photos/oxkarthemighty/10497648273
Ichthyophthirius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be someone who knows straight away, for others an overview photograph might be useful (you can be too close Very Happy ). For example, I don't know what you mean by cross-section (transverse section?, segment?, tergite?, sternite?).

Is this a sclerite surface and you're talking about the microsculpture ("fingerprint" pattern)?
oxkarthemighty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ichthyophthirius!
Ichthyophthirius wrote:
(you can be too close)

YOU SPEAK LIES!! Very Happy
Ichthyophthirius wrote:
I don't know what you mean by cross-section (transverse section?, segment?, tergite?, sternite?

Oops, sorry. I referred to it as a plate, yes its a X-sec of a abdominal segment.
Ichthyophthirius wrote:
Is this a sclerite surface and you're talking about the microsculpture ("fingerprint" pattern)?

It was definitely sclerite, that's why I was thinking maybe it was Laughing "Moth juice" that had just dried out. The only thing that had made me think different was the pattern in it. It seems just too uniform, much like a fingerprint as you say. [/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: