First photo, need help

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

m05h

First photo, need help

Post by m05h »

Hi, this is my first attempt at micrography, it's a tick, the section is about 300 microns long. As u can see i have a big lens flare right in the middle of the image, that is caused i believe by the lack of the eyepiece in the setup, the light is hitting the camera sensor directly. If i use the eyepiece i solve the lens flare problem, but the image is blurry and with little detail. Is there a way to get rid of the lens flare without using the eypiece?
I'm using a Westmore SP14 at 10x and a Canon 1000D.Image

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Flare may have different causes. If you look through the microscope tube without eyepiece, do you see reflections in the tube walls?.

To better understand you problem and give advice, please post detailed images of the microscope and its camera coupling.

note: to use an eyepiece to take pictures the best approach is to put the adequate camera lens focussed to infinite over the eyepiece, what we call "afocal"
Pau

m05h

Post by m05h »

My adapter is similar to this one( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-T-MOUNT ... 1080189334 ). The eyepiece sits inside, then the camera attaches on top. And yes i can see a reflection inside the tube without the eyepiece. The only lens i can attach to this is a teleconverter, dunno if would do much good.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I get this with Olympus scopes, which are surprisingly shiny inside. A tube of black paper slid down inside helps, though I now remove the upper tube assembly as well, replacing it with camera extension tubes.

m05h

Post by m05h »

I just put plain cardboard from a cd cover in the tube and the lens flare is gone, the chamber of this microscope is made of untreated metal, it's very shiny. Thx ChrisR, here is a quick composite with the paper in the tubeImage
Dunno what happened in the right of the image but i don't think it's related to this.
Thx alot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic