www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - DIY article on monitoring ultrasound from bugs
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DIY article on monitoring ultrasound from bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DQE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: DIY article on monitoring ultrasound from bugs Reply with quote

Sounds intriguing to listen to the sounds bugs make while we photograph or watch them.

Here's a link to an amateur radio magazine article on building and using a device to listen to such things:

http://monitoringtimes.com/mt-utrasound-rx1.pdf

Of course, we'll need to have a stereo version - no need to limit one's self to mono sound!

--------------
Does anyone recall much published or DIY work monitoring bug sounds? I am not thinking about the loud, easily human-audible sounds such as the ones crickets make of course. Maybe our bug friends are talking to one another intensively instead of working in silence as it seems?!?!

I hope this isn't yet another example of a topic I've proposed that has already been fully discussed on this most remarkable forum! All the search results I found were apparently related to ultrasonic cleaning of optics, etc.

"Diffraction never sleeps"
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about DIY but one of the staff (Broughton) at Sir John Cass College in London was recording aphid sounds in the late 1960s-early 1970s when I was studying there.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=6C71E598BB3137E91F98448199D01F5A.journals?fromPage=online&aid=2534536

Harold
DQE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold Gough wrote:
I don't know about DIY but one of the staff (Broughton) at Sir John Cass College in London was recording aphid sounds in the late 1960s-early 1970s when I was studying there.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=6C71E598BB3137E91F98448199D01F5A.journals?fromPage=online&aid=2534536

Harold

I can't begin to imagine aphids making sounds! Perhaps they make sheep-like sounds since they seem to function as cattle for ants? (grins)

"Diffraction never sleeps"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: