Elongated Polychaete Worm

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

Elongated Polychaete Worm

Post by Wim van Egmond »

With the risque of excommunication I post a very long Polychaete. I know the picture is too big but the file size is modest and it is fun to scroll. Can I get away with it??? :)

It's a stitch from many images. The organism was alive a quite motile but I could make a fast series that I could combine.

Wim

Last edited by Wim van Egmond on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

bernhardinho

Re: Polychaete against the rules

Post by bernhardinho »

Wim van Egmond wrote: . Can I get away with it??? :)

It's a stitch from many images. The organism was alive a quite motile but I could make a fast series that I could combine.
Hi Wim

well, I like it anyway and I would offer assistance for you staying in the group :)

What software did you use to stitch it? Just PS?

Bernhard

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you for the support, Bernhard! :)

It was manually stitched in photoshop. Actually it is made from scanned slides. I am archiving old images at the moment.

Wim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

think "panels!"

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim (and everybody else),

For shots like this, think "panels!"

This long skinny picture of size 500 x 2074 pixels would split neatly into 3 panels of size 500x700, completely within the forum rules, highly sociable, no need to set a bad example, completely removes risk, all at the cost of only a couple of lines of light pixels.

See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=1759 for a beautiful example by Bruce Williams.

--Rik

PS. By the way, the Polychaete is a beautiful picture. Certainly the best I've ever seen, by a huge margin. :D

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Yes, I had already thought of that! It is a good solution..... but......don't you think it is much more fun to break the rules! :D :D :D

But next time I'll act like like a well behaved boy!

And if you like I can upload a sliced worm!

Wim

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Wim van Egmond wrote:Yes, I had already thought of that! It is a good solution..... but......don't you think it is much more fun to break the rules! :D :D :D

But next time I'll act like like a well behaved boy!

And if you like I can upload a sliced worm!

Wim
Great looking beast! :smt023
In the hell is funnier, I belive, but no one wants to be there. :lol: :twisted: O:)
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim van Egmond wrote:...if you like I can upload a sliced worm!
That would be super! (And see the PM I sent you earlier. :wink: :D )

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

That is incredible Wim. Is he facing down, there looks to be "JAWS" a little from the bottom? :shock:
Last edited by beetleman on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I will repost a cut up version tomorrow, Rik.

I am writing from my home computer and I don't have photoshop on it yet.

By the way, did you see the huge jaws these worms have? They can be extended to capture prey. Nasty!

Wim

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Doug, you made the remark just when I was writing about it. It is a Nereis, the ragworm. These marine worms have these remarkable jaws.

Wim

Danny

Post by Danny »

OMG, that is a fantastic piece of work Wim, no doubt about that at all. A few of us have tried stitching in the horizontal for macro, but no result like this :shock: . Excellent work.

Rik is right of course and if one does it, more will do it. I'm also wondering about how the physical size works and how clear it still is. Maybe we could have a few ideas on that between us. Its fine KB wise. Interesting.

All the best Wim, nice work, but naughty :wink:

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Its fine KB wise. Interesting.
The featureless blue background and widespread lack of pixel-level detail allow JPEG to compress this image very tightly.

Of course another advantage of the panel approach is that you're then allowed 200KB per image -- three times more than what we see here. With Bruce's subject -- detail everywhere -- I suspect that shoehorning the whole subject into 200KB would have been a disaster.

If the panels break things up, perhaps it would help to leave posted a link to the monolithic image.

And of course then it could be even more larger and more detailed! :shock:

Wim, how did you "make a fast series" with this beast? Did you do anything to slow it down?

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Rik,

As you can see it is still one image but I added 2 thin grey lines! :D :D

The only method to slow it down was the cloverslip:) It tries to escape but they always stay motionless for some time, often with intervals. Perhaps they have to recuperate a bit, gain some energy. So you can wait for these moments and than quickly make a series of pictures while scrolling one axis of the stage of the microscope. Some motion does not have to be fatal for the stitch.

What I also do is place the slide on the stage in the direction of the position of the organism so I only have to turn one knob of the stage. It is a bit of a wrestle with the microscope but with some sticky tape you can place the slide in different positions in the slide holder.

Wim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim van Egmond wrote:As you can see it is still one image but I added 2 thin grey lines! :D :D
Thanks, Wim -- for the further explanation and for the thin grey lines! :lol:

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic