Another scope (Zeiss standard?) Another bunch of questions.

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ericthefishman

Another scope (Zeiss standard?) Another bunch of questions.

Post by Ericthefishman »

Hello again,
With your help I have the old Diaphot scope up and running. Thank you to everyone that helped me with this :) I decided to sell my Canon 400D, and replace it with a 600D to take advantage of the live view. When the new camera Arrives I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I can't wait to take some pictures.

In the mean time I was able to pick up an old Zeiss (standard?) scope on the cheap. At the time I was thinking that It would just connect to the Regel transformator 39 25 33 that I purchased to power my Diaphot but the new scope has a different plug :( Does anyone have any idea what kind of plug this new one is? What kind of power supply do I need to get it up and running?

Also It has a blue filter in place above the light with 2 additional arms that swing out above it. I'm guessing these are just for optional filters? Is it possible to add a darkfield condenser to this set up?

For now my last question is If you owned this scope what would you do with it, or add to it?
Condenser, power supply or different light, objectives, trinocular head, ect?
Or would you sell it?
There are some pictures of the scope here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebreptiles/
I would appreciate any info or help that you guys can offer.
Please let me know if you need additional pics or information.
Thanks
Eric

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Hi Eric,

A little about your Zeiss scope. It was probably made in the late 50's to early 60's. With the round base and the attached lighting, it looks to be a Standard Junior. If it had built in lighting, it would be a Standard GFL. A Standard WL has a long base (not round base) and is larger. Next comes the Universal/Photomicroscope and the grand daddy of all for that time period is the massive Ultraphot. The good part is that most of the optical equipment like objectives, eyepieces and condensers can be interchanged and are readily available. It can be set up for phase, polarized, darkfield and brightfield. Trinocular tubes are hard to come by. You are right about the flip out pieces under the condenser holder are for filters. If that is a Zeiss light, the transformer you will need is probably the one shown here on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Micr ... 3ccc1672be but the connector looks a lot like an American Optical connector.

Would I keep it? Yes...as a collector's item and it is a quality Zeiss. Will it be good for photography...probably not, unless you get a trinoc tube and better lighting.

Below is a GFL in Polarized configuration with the power supply.
Enjoy,
EddieImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic