Widmanstätten pattern on an etched slice of Gibeon meteorite

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Widmanstätten pattern on an etched slice of Gibeon meteorite

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

Here are a couple of images from a slice of the Gibeon iron meteorite that fell in Namibia, South Africa in pre-historic times. It is composed of ~90% iron, ~8% nickel, 0.4% cobalt and 0.04% phosphorus. It is classed as a type IVA (said as 4A) fine octahedrite. Radiometric dating indicates that crystallization of the Gibeon iron-nickel took place approx. 4 billion year ago.

So, the structure we are seeing in these photos was created 4 billion years ago - older than any known (surviving) rock on Earth.

Iron meteorites are believed to be part of the smashed-up core of large asteroids or small planetoids.

This slice has been polished and etched (with weak acid) to bring out the Widmanstätten pattern. This pattern is individually unique to every iron meteorite (as it relates to the rate of cooling of the parent asteroid). It only occurs in meteorites and cannot be duplicated in a lab because its creation requires that cooling take place over millions of years. The pattern is caused by the intergrowth/segregation of the two nickel-iron minerals, kamacite (the light bands) and taenite (the dark bands) as the core of the parent asteroid slowly cooled.

Note: The more true color is shown in pic2 as I converted pic1 to greyscale in order to get it under the 200 Kb forum limit (without losing too much detail).

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Williams on Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Bruce, nice old piece of iron produced by the star through the process of nuclear fusion from hydrogen and helium. :D
So one of the stars died long ago. :shock:
Does it belong to one star solely? :-k
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some pretty neat stuff there Bruce. :D I don't know anything about meteorites, although one of my favorite rock groups was Bill Haley and the Comets. :| You know I just read an article the other day about astroids. Seems that there are quite a number that have the possiblity of striking the earth, about 1,500 of them. Though they said that the chances are one in a million that it would happen. However consider this, one in a million is pretty good odds when you consider all the stuff floating around out in space. :shock: The last recollection I have of reading about something similar to this happening, said that a comet was due to come within a hair of us around 2016, just when I retire again, an the chances of it hitting us were for the moment pretty good but then you have to figure in the gravitational pull of our sun, so it more than likely might miss us altogether. :roll:

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks guys.

Nikola - Latest estimates place the age of the Universe at between 13 to 14 billion years old, see: Hubble telescope reads age of ancient white dwarf star. Our solar system is around 4.6 billion years old (sun, planets, moons, asteroids etc) - and was formed from material (including the heavier elements) created when at least one nearby star went supernova .

So yes, the iron and nickel atoms in this meteorite (and everything else including us for that matter) were created long before our solar system - and maybe recycled through several generations of stars/solar systems that existed in this general area of space. Humbling thought eh!

Ken - Did you watch the comet Shoemaker-Levy collisions with Jupiter back in July 1994? I'm fortunate enough to have a close friend who has his own observatory and we spent several days watching the drama unfold. Some of those comet fragments created impact spots that were larger than the Earth!

Retire again :-k

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Bruce asked:
Did you watch the comet Shoemaker-Levy collisions with Jupiter back in July 1994?
I saw what the news media had to offer there Bruce. It was pretty amazing. Actually to my understanding of what I have seen in documentaries, Jupiter, along with our Sun, is our best safe guard against such events. From what I have read also, Jupiter has saved our butts many times from extinction. :roll:

Oh, yes retirment. I have been retired from the US Navy since 1991 and will retire in civilain life around 2016. :wink:

Danny

Post by Danny »

How come I feel so old :D :wink: . A lesson in this one. Funny how something like this makes you feel when you see it Bruce. Its a microscopic shot and yet, it makes me feel small. Love the history and the shot Bruce.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wow... from shrew teeth to snail eggs to Roman coins to meteorites...
... endless curiosity... great! :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic