Watermark Assistance?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crotermund

Watermark Assistance?

Post by crotermund »

I'm not sure if I am posting this to the right forum or not, but I am interested in doing a watermark or something comparable in photos w/o using a border. Something simple / inexpensive with the ability to add a symbol or something next to a name would be nice. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi Craig,

What software do you have available. It's difficult to advise you without knowing which programs you use.

If you use Photoshop, I have a couple of scripts which might help. Here's an example of what one of them can do.

The script would use your own logo.

I also have a script that simply puts a text copyright notice on an image in proportion to the size of the image.

If you tells us what you have access too, we might be able to be more helpful.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Thanks for the quick response, George. I am primarily a Photoshop CS2 user, but may find myself dabbling in Photoshop Elements or Capture One in the future. The photoshop script sounds very interesting. Did you write this yourself? How exactly did you build your logo? Are the logo / Text always stored separately? Thanks again for responding and please accept my apology if these are stupid questions.
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi Craig,

I did create the scripts myself, but had some help from the adobe scripting forum from time to time. Both of the scripts I mentioned will run on CS2. Elements does not support scripting, as far as I know.

The text only script just uses the normal CS2 text engine to create a line of pre-determined text and places it on an image in proportion to that image. So if you run it on a large or small image, the proportions of the text is the same.

Once the text is placed, the image is flattened, so the text is no longer editable. If you need to change the text, you have to edit the script, so any previously watermarked images could not be easily altered, unless you have the original image. ( Hopefully you will have ). :)

The graphical logo script places a TIFF image of the logo onto the target image and scales it, if necessary, so that the logo is in proportion to the image size. Like the text only script, the idea is that the logo will be in proportion regardless of the size of the image.

Both scripts need some editing to customise them to different users requirement, but the editing is not difficult.

As for the logo image, I create a PSD file with all of the details I want, and then save that as TIFF file with a transparent background. I make the logo file as large as it needs to be so that it looks good on the largest image I will use, I.E. A full size image from my D200. A separate script is needed for each camera you use if they have different image dimensions.

If I need to change any of the text in the logo, I edit the original PSD file, and then save a new copy of the logo TIFF file as needed.

The logo was made just using the normal Photoshop tools, such as Text and Shapes for the coloured boxes. I also used Layer Styles to add some impact.

You would just need to create your own logo image so that it was large enough to look right on the largest image your camera produces. The script then scales that image as necessary when placing it on any images that have been downsized.

You can download the text only script from http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/pages/Downloads.html. It's the 4th one down the page. There are a few other scripts I've made on that page. I haven't uploaded the graphical script, as it needs some explanation about how to prepare and use it.

If you want me to modify the graphical logo script, I would need some stuff from you. It would be better to contact me by private message, and we can discuss the requirements you would need.

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic