Doodlebug cardstock is blacker than Protostar

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Doodlebug cardstock is blacker than Protostar

Post by rjlittlefield »

Saul recently pointed me to a black cardstock that he uses for backgrounds and flocking. I bought a couple of pieces to try out, and I'm very pleased with it.

The product is doodlebug design inc part number 1898 "beetle black crushed velvet cardstock". I bought mine at http://store.scrapbook.com/db-1898.html.

This stuff is blacker than Protostar flocked light trap material. :shock:

Here's an overall comparison with perpendicular and glancing light, a small square of Protostar laid on a larger piece of the doodlebug cardstock.

Here's a closeup view of the structure, 5X on sensor, 4.4 mm field width. doodlebug on the left, Protostar on the right.

You can see that both materials consist of black plastic fibers adhered on end to a substrate, sticking up more or less perpendicular to the surface. The difference is that the doodlebug cardstock has shorter fibers that stand more uniformly upright, while the Protostar has longer fibers that occasionally lay nearly flat on the surface and provide more area for reflection.

I tested both samples by scraping them with a hard edge to see how much fiber would come off. The difference was minor, slight advantage to the doodlebug.

The other major difference is backing. The Protostar comes precoated with an aggressive adhesive; the doodlebug cardstock is paper you get to glue yourself. And of course the cardstock only comes in 12" squares while the Protostar can be had in big rolls if you like. For most of my purposes, I'm thinking the cardstock is more suitable.

The Protostar sample was freshly cut from my large stock piece, purchased in May 2010. The cardstock was new this month, August 2012.

--Rik

Edit: April 3, 2023, to fix broken link to Protostar.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I just ordered some...

Saul

Post by Saul »

I bought that at the Hobby Lobby (in store only, not available online)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Best to lay in a supply while you still can. I just had the following email exchange with the manufacturer.

--Rik
Rik wrote:Dear doodlebug,

I recently purchased some of your 1898 beetle black crushed velvet cardstock through http://store.scrapbook.com/db-1898.html .

I'm a photographer, and for my purposes this is great stuff!

I went looking in your catalog at http://www.doodlebug.ws/Catalog/Default.aspx to see if that cardstock is available in sizes larger than 12"x12", but to my surprise I couldn't find it at all.

So now I'm puzzled and worried.

Is the 1898 beetle black crushed velvet cardstock still being manufactured, and if so is it available in sizes larger than 12"x12"?

Thanks very much,
Rik Littlefield

PS. If you're interested in a technical note I recently posted for my colleagues, see http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=17917 ("Doodlebug cardstock is blacker than Protostar").
doodlebug wrote:Rik,

Glad you like this product. We have black crushed velvet in stock in 12x12. We have discontinued our our crushed velvet papers, which means once we are out of stock it will probably not be reordered. If all of the colors had been as popular as the black, we probably would not have discontinued this product line. I would guess you should be able to find it for sale online for the next year or so. We sell crushed velvet cardstock in packs of 25 to retailers

Regards,

Tom Martin
Director of Sales
office 801.952.0555 ext 115 or 877.800.9190 ext 115
cell 801.674.9150 fax 801.952.1555
www.doodlebug.ws

Saul

Post by Saul »

Thanks, Rik! I'm going to the Hobby Lobby today !

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:This side of the pond we don't have Hobby Lobby
Ironically, the label on the back of the doodlebug cardstock says "acid free / lignin free / printed in China".

Seems like it should be available under a different name, but in a quick search of eBay I found almost nothing.

The best was THIS STUFF and the fact that there's a UK-based "The Velvet Paper Shop" who doesn't carry it but might be a source of info?

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

I just went to Scrapbook.com to buy a few more pieces of the doodlebug beetle black cardstock, and found that they are currently offering a 13% Halloween discount. :)

David

baro-nite

Post by baro-nite »

I found some of the Doodlebug cardstock at http://www.dbandme.com/catalog/item/6886730/5712256.htm. Very quick shipping.
--
Jeff S

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I had ordered some from scrapbook.com but it never came. I just re-ordered from an Amazon-linked seller. I forgot about it until I saw this thread and my reply that I ordered some! ...Ray

GemBro

Black Velour Flocking Material

Post by GemBro »

Sorry to bump this thread but this may be worth a mention too ...

Being an Amateur astronomy too I just visited one of the forums I frequent and looked for what they use for 'flocking' ...

Apparently they use Black Velour Flocking Material ... which they say "is extremely black and has better adhesive qualities than Protostar. A month on and I can see no evidence of any fibre shedding on the mirrors" ... this looks cheap as chips ... £7 for a 45cm x 1m cut off plus £3 postage in the UK ... I've just bought some ...

Black Velour Flocking Material (45cm x 1m):
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/bl ... erial.html

Gem
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I've had the remains of a roll of something which looks lke that for about (gulp) 30 years. I used to turn wooden bowls, and stuck that material onto the bases. Green was also common. It was called "Fablon" - something probably similar is still around as
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fablon-45-Roll- ... blon+black

Comparing with Doodlebug, it depends how the light falls on it. I didn't think it was perfect, but it may be a case of being "good enough". It's certainly easier to use. I have annular pieces on objective adapters with the hole in the flocking overhanging the hole in the adapter so it covers shiny rear ends.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Here is a material perhaps quite close to the discontinued "Doodlebug beetle black crushed velvet cardstock" that Rik found: "HOTP - 10358 Black Suede" paper from Hot Off The Press, Inc. It's intended for scrap booking. It comes in 8.5 x 11 inch sheets for $2.00/sheet.

Compared side by side with the Protostar flocked light trap material I've been using for years (and am very happy with), this black sued paper is considerably darker. It closely resembles Rik's documentation of Doodlebug card stock. Unlike Protostar, it is not self-adhesive. It is not as stiff as card stock, but is reasonably sturdy and has a drape that would permit easy lining of tubes and such. I think it would make a very nice flocking material.

I happened across this in the scrap-booking section of a Jo Ann Fabric store. (Not my normal haunt, but happening into the place, I of course walked every isle to learn about things that might come in handy--many of us do this, right? :D) However, I don't see this material in Jo Ann's online catalog.

It is also available online from the manufacturer--though sadly, one apparently needs to buy at least 15 sheets: http://www.hotp.com/products/10358 . Note that the "click to enlarge" photograph at the Web site does not accurately depict this material: The material is jet black, not pebbly black and gray, as the image suggests.

--Chris S.

Saul

Post by Saul »

Doodlebug still available in some Hobby Lobby locations, bought last week, $1 per pcs (50% discount)
Saul
μ-stuff

DaveinMpls

Online source

Post by DaveinMpls »

Doodlebug beetle black is also available today online at Scrapbook.com. I just ordered some.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic