Lycogala epidendrum, spore mass and spores

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Lycogala epidendrum, spore mass and spores

Post by Ken Ramos »

I never suspected that I would encounter fruiting myxos in the dead of winter. Air temperatures have been anywhere from 20°F to 38°F at nighttime, with the daytime temperatures ranging into the upper 50°F range. This specimen was found fruiting on a fallen and decaying tree trunk. The following images show the spore mass of the fruiting body and the spores themselves.

Here it is now appoaching mid February, soon in another month or so, conditions are going to be improving as the the temperatures begin to rise and the polar caps continue to melt, for the growth of myxomycetes. I just wonder, is it really greenhouse gases that is causing the warming trend at the poles or could it be our sun is in the early stages of becoming a nova and are we being ever so slightly removed from the "comfort zone," that we have been so privilaged to thrive in over the eons. :-k

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Very interesting photos Ken and a useful follow up to your earlier posting in the Macro Forum. From what I've read on Google (interest sparked by your pics) the spores of Lycogala sp. would appear to be extemely durable with germination being successfully achieved from spores of an estimated 100 years of age.

Nice series too showing spores on fruiting body as well as microscopic views.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Bruce. :D The spore mass was photographed through the Meiji and then discarded, so as to not have them floating around the house. When I initially took that photograph, there were so many of them airborne that they set me into a fit of sneezing, notice the jagged edges of the spores, much like spiny pollen grains. Since then I have did some more tweeking of the Meiji's photo tube and eyepiece and so I am presently getting much better images from it, with much more detail. Hopefully when myxos are in full swing I will be able to provide much better images like this and of them, than in the past with the Meiji.

Yes, they do seem to be a hardy bunch of organisms. Many times I have passed them by not actually knowing what they were or dismissing them as a "puffball" type of fungi. When you think about it, they are a "puffball" type of myxomycete. In the future, I will be more open minded towards these things as my relationship continues to grow with them. Thanks again Bruce. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

No sense in wasting image space so I will complete my three for today with a composite of four. These showing the fruiting bodies under attack. The one to the top right seems to be under attack from a fungi, which are but one of the enemies of myxomycetes. The others show what is possibly the invasion of Cryptic Slime Mould beetles. Look closely and you can see where they or something has bored into the aethalium (plural: aethalia). More than likely if I were to open these up I would probably find beetle larvae consuming the spores. :(

Meiji EMZ-13TR

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Very interesting follow-up to your follow-up Ken. So why didn't you cut it open then ?

POOOOFFFF:":.:"':'"::.Choke.":.."Cough":;.:Splutter."':".:Sneeze!

:lol: Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Your wish is my command :roll: but alas, I did not find any beetle larvae. As you can see though, the inside of the aethalium is very fiberous and the amount of spores therein, in number, probably exceeds the amount in dollars of our national deficit. :-k As I sit here at my computer :smt024 , my noise running and slightly burning, I cannot help but to think of those ants who also have ingested spores from certain fungi. It would behoove me, it seems, to purchase some sort of facial breathing mask, the type surgons use, to wear in situations such as this if I continue on in fooling around with fungi and myxomycetes, so as not to inhale the spores. Here is the inside of Lycogala epidendrum, the aethalium with the holes that were bored in the side.

More than likely, since there was no evidence of Cryptic Slime Mould beetle larvae inside, it maybe that they or whatever, were feeding from the exterior of the aethalium. So, no larvae :(

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Yes Ken, a very good followup on your pictures. You might want to get one of those negitive flow filtration hoods for your work area and some BIO Hazard signs and alarms for the outside of your house in case something excapes like the "Andromeda strain" :smt105
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Over the course of time, I have come to realize that there are multitudes of biological hazards just waiting for the opportunity to pounce on either "us" or some other unsuspecting life form of one sort or another. There are numerous fungi that infect mankind, some of them quite deadly and others that would make you wish that you were dead. Probably the most deadly organisms posted here on the site so far have all been of the Biological Safety Level II type or lower, these being mostly protozoa and mainly amoebae. Though BSL II organisms seem to be mostly opportunistic, from my observations, and some can be quite deadly. However do not take that as fact, I offer this disclaimer, I am no expert in anything having to do with BSL II organisms or otherwise. The only expertise I do have is in that of an explosives handler and air launched missile technician, which I acquired while in the service. :wink: Go head...ask me how I would handle N. Korea :lol:

However, all kidding aside, there is one common organism that is found in most every household, opportunistic and extremely lethal, it is the Acanthamoeba. Though you come into contact with them or it, every single day and almost everywhere you go where there is sufficent moisture, the chances of you becoming infected are quite slim. They can even live in your air conditioner vents. (hee hee hee hee...oh boy, ahem...! :shock: ) :wink:

Thanks Doug :D

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Great bunch of images Ken. You were fortunate to find this fine specimen this late in the year. Yor scope is showing a lot of detail. I wear a dust mask myself but I doubt it helps that much. keep up the good work.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am gearing up out here Walt, petri dishes and cameras at the ready. I'm hunting big amoeba this year, so look out! :lol:

Thanks Walt :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

I'm proud of you Ken, you risked it all for science - now, if you suddenly find you're getting the urge to climb trees or telegraph poles....

Bruce

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Nice posting and funny and remarkable observations, Ken!

A pity you didn't find the beetles. I once observed beetles coming from a mushroom and thy were so covered in spores they could hardly move.

I am not sure if the spores of an organism that lives of wood can be harmful for humans. I asume they can only feed on wood. But I am not sure. The spores can cause severe allergy.

Anyway, I always thought the organism most dangerous to humans was the Hamburger.

Wim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I think the only way you would get me to climb a utilities pole is to place a hamburger at the top :lol: Wim/Bruce, thanks guys :D

Seem as though I read somewhere, while researching ascomycetes, ascomycota and basidiomycotina, that spores of most anything can and sometimes do present a health hazard. How sever depends mostly on the individual, unless he or she has some sort of immune deficency or other health problems. However, don't quote me on that. :-k

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic