amoeba inditification

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

micronub

amoeba inditification

Post by micronub »

Sorry my microscope is not the best... You can see how this thing moves. I got this out of a pail of water sitting outside. This is a sample right off the very top of the water level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBNbgIUB380

micronub

Post by micronub »

how do I move this post?... might be in the wrong place

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Only Admins can move posts from one forum to another. However, everyone can delete their own posts if there have been no replies. So, you can effectively "move" a post by saving its content to clipboard or a text editor, then deleting the post in its original location and posting the same content as new in the proper forum.

In this case, I've moved it for you to "Photography Through the Microscope".

--Rik

micronub

Post by micronub »

thank you very much!

Ferry

Post by Ferry »

It seems to be a Vahlkampfia-amoeba.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thank you, Ferry.

So then, http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/pdb/images ... index.html ?

I see elsewhere on the web that this group has been revised recently based on genetic sequencing. I'm glad to see that activity going on. I expect there'll be lots of revisions when we know more directly how these things are related at the molecular level instead of just body forms and habits.

--Rik

micronub

Post by micronub »

Thanks! Next time I'll try to get a closer view of this guy. I find them a lot in my area. I'm thinking if I keep looking I'm going to run across the naegleria fowleri amoeba. Water temperature is already above 80 degrees in my area and I like checking out water samples. I've read where they live in and are found in soil, but I'm not sure on what that really means. Thought about trying to scoop up some soil in different areas then put that in water with maybe some rice. I'm just messing around with it though because its sorta fun.

Any thoughts on how common this amoeba is really? I know that PAM is not common but I wonder how common the amoeba is really...

micronub

Post by micronub »

well... I just read where 2 more kids died due to Naegleria fowleri. Something I found cruel and odd, while I was reading about these 2 children I read where someone or a group of researchers put this stuff up the nose of 7 sheep and all 7 died. I mean really did they have to kill all 7 of the sheep. Seems like 1 would do... but hey, I'm not a research person. Anyways I would love to find a place where I know this stuff exists because I would like to figure out a way to kill this amoeba or at least knock the numbers down. I'm thinking adding caustic would knock them down a bit. I live in Southeast Texas and I have 100's of ponds around me (and its hot..). I've looked in a few and found nothing so far. If I do find a large number of these I'm going to try some chemicals and continuously monitor the samples. I'll soon be called the Naegleria slayer.. (and maybe a few fish at first) :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic