Daddy Longlegs

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Carl_Constantine

Daddy Longlegs

Post by Carl_Constantine »

My kids are ALWAYS on the lookout for things I can photgraph (God Bless them). They came across this guy in our bathroom just above our showerhead. This took a couple tries to get with me straddling our bathtub trying to get a good focus on him and not wanting him to move.

What's really interesting to me is that black spot on his head that looks like his brain is showing through. I don't know how big he is, but he wasn't that big. I'm also very pleased with the amount of detail I was able to capture.

PS: This is full frame, no cropping.

Canon 300D (Rebel)
ISO 100
1/200s
F11
75-300@120mm (+4+2+1)
Handheld
Flash (built-in)
Carl B. Constantine

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Nice finding Carl. :D
Neat looking guy. Like joined of silver and glass. Some plume alike feature is visible at legs endings (two legs touching the right photo's frame) possibly caused by tiny hairs. :-k
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Carl,

Looks like there is an epigyne visible in the midline between thorax and abdomen which would make your visitor a female.

Bruce

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This beast looks familiar. I think it's the same type critter that I got to shoot last summer.

I agree about the ID, but this looks to me like a dorsal view, in which case the epigyne would be on the other side where we can't see it. :?

Take a look at my shots here and see if this makes sense.

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

That is one creepy looking spider. Some spiders are cute, but not this one :shock: You did a fine job on it Carl.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Looking again (and seeing your pics) I think you are right Rik, it is a dorsal view. I was of course assuming a ventral view - mainly because that's the way my eye-brain read the bend of the legs. Also (although I accept that it can't be) that little protrusion does look for all the world like an epigyne (extremely variable by species of course). See my pic of garden spider showing epigyne.

Bruce :D
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Carl, I've been re-reading your post and trying to envision the setup, and I'd like to commend you on getting a good shot under trying circumstances. You really did manage to capture a lot of detail in this little beast -- those hairs on the legs are pretty fine.

From personal experience, though, I have to caution you about getting too far out on a limb with your camera and your body.

I still have fairly vivid memories of the day I wanted a closer shot of the spider in the window over my kitchen sink.

I couldn't quite get to where I thought I needed to be, and after some squizzling around, I ended up sitting on the edge of the counter, feet in the sink, leaning forward with my elbows propped on my knees. It was a very stable photo platform, and I shot several pics with my Canon Digital Rebel and Sigma 105 macro. Stable, that is, until I sat up -- and overbalanced ever so slightly backward.

It took several seconds for the disaster to play out. First I tried to spin around and get a foot out of the sink. Failing that, I grabbed for the only good grip around, then realized I was holding the removable head of the faucet. You know, the ones that pull out about 4 feet on a nice flexible hose? I remember thinking, "Well, that's not going to work!"

Having run out of time and options, I decided to just "assume the position" and ride it out. So backward I fell, feet still up on the counter, camera & lens held safely in the air, head tucked tight to my chest. THUMP!

The camera was fine. The ribs took a while to heal. And the photos? Well, there's the annoying part. The flash effects were so bad the pics weren't even worth saving. I deleted them. Sigh...

You be careful now, with that "straddling the bathtub" stuff. :lol:

--Rik

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Thanks everyone for the kudos and encouraging words.

Rik, Thanks for your story and I appreciate your concern very much. Believe it or not, I DID think about falling as I got up on the tub and hoped it wouldn't happen. Fortunately it didn't but it took some slight moving around to get a good shot and was worried I wouldn't get it (the first pic was quite blurred). I'm amazed I got it really.

Thanks again everyone!
Carl B. Constantine

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Carl... down here (in NW Washington... not far from you) I unfortunately have these as fairly regular visitors in my shower! While it doesn't bother me to see a large one up there in the corner when I get into the shower, it is a little disconcerting to look up after rinsing the soap out of my eyes and see that it no longer there.... and wonder just exactly where it is! :shock:

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Charles, I bet the best place for it is under microscope! O:)
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ib Mathiasen

Post by Ib Mathiasen »

Hey Carl

It is a "Pholcus phalangioides" and as it is said it is a look a like for "Harvestmen"

But on Harvestmen the two bodyparts are broadly joined together, so that it appears to be in just one piece.
Spiders have the body clearly divided into two pieces which are joined by a narrow stalk.
And harvestmen have only 2 eyes - spiders usually have 8 or 6 eyes

In Denmark we call this spider "mejeredderkop" - and if i translate it is "harvestmenspider" in english - but maybe "Daddy-longleg-spider is a better nickname :lol:

Even if they look´s a littel bitt "flimsy" thay´can be "a wolf in sheep's clothing" and eat other spider´s and bugs bigger than it´s self

If i ask people around me if they havent seen a "harvestmenspider" with a prey, or eating, they all said no - follow by "do they eat at all"

Yes - byt they eating very silent and clean - Once the pray are catch in the fine silk, the spider make a small hole in the victum through which they alternately blow in juices, and suck the pray dry

Picture below show a "harvestmenspider" i feed with a stick - it took over 24 hour to eat, and after 12 hour the victum is still alive

Ib Mathiasen

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh cool,Pholcus are really neat spiders!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic