An Amazing Structure

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

An Amazing Structure

Post by svalley »

This is a spider egg case attached to a small blade of grass. The large end was about 1-2 mm across. Note the tether wrapped around the base of the stem.

There is an inner globe of fine silk surrounded be a heavier protective layer.

Leica MZ16 stereomicroscope w/extended depth of field imaging system
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Pretty neat photographs there Steve. :D Reminds me of the old style hot air or helium filled balloons with the mesh net surrounding them. Interesting how the spider thought to anchor her offspring to the grass blade but I suppose all of that is in the spiders programing. :-k

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

It really is an amazing microstructure.

Nice find, and very nicely done!

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Very interesting photo Steve. Lighting is excellent and really helps to accentuate structure and detail

Bruce

svalley

Post by svalley »

Thanks for the comments.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Nature is so amazing up close....super find Steve, and a great set of photos. Anyone home? On a side note, there is a post on the macro forum discussing the hairs on a lacewings` wing. Do you know why there would be hairs on a wing?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

svalley

Post by svalley »

Doug, the hairs on insect wings probably have multiple functions. The escape from spider web scenario sounds plausible. They also probably have a sensory function during flight. They would also increase lift by trapping a layer of air on the upper surface of the wing that acts as part of the wing. They also create turbulance that can aid lift. I am mostly gussing here, so don't read to much into it. Almost all my knowledge about insect flight comes from my studies of dragonflies, and their flight is distinctly different from other insects. They flap their fore and hind wings independently and can use the hind wings to take advantage of the turbulence caused by the forewings. That is part of the reason they are so manuverable. And yes, they also have some hairs on their wings that are thought to be sensory.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A round of congratulations goes to Steve Valley also. :D A great cover piece for our Micro Forums front page. Great work there Steve =D>

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

One of the most unusual and interesting posts - great photos too. Thought provoking, extremely memorable and IMO most deserving of selection.

Congratualations!

Bruce

svalley

Post by svalley »

Thank you, guys. I am honored.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic