8 axis stage (images added) WAS:A (very dirty) bee panorama

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Elf,
Your stuff is wonderful and amazing. May I ask, (if I haven't missed it where you might have posted it previously) what those ring segments were cut from? Were they ball bearing races? Something else?

elf

Post by elf »

johan wrote: It's interesting that you've got 2 rings with sliders, whereas the boat thing I intend to repurpose has 3. I'm still trying to work out the advantage of each, I think on the boat things I can achieve the same positions and angle of view even cutting away all but the 1/4 rings that I actually need to do so, although on the downside there is also a bit more potential for the reaining ring parts to get in the way. Fun challenge though.
As Rik said, only 6 axes are absolutely needed, so you should be able to come very close with the lamp gimbal.
g4lab wrote:Elf,
Your stuff is wonderful and amazing. May I ask, (if I haven't missed it where you might have posted it previously) what those ring segments were cut from? Were they ball bearing races? Something else?
I think ball bearing races would be to hard to machine with my HSS (High Speed Steel) tooling :) The rings are just mild steel cutoffs from regular pipe. I was really surprised that they machined so well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic