www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Sidewalk Weevil
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sidewalk Weevil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugEZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Sidewalk Weevil Reply with quote

Here are three images of a small weevil found on the sidewalk. We have had an early spring and this one was discovered about a month earlier than in prevous years.

I post primarily to illustrate the results I am getting with my new JML 20X lens.
Overall shot

~2X using El Nikkor 50mm enlarging lens reversed. 29 images, Pmax

~10X synthetic stereo pair

This uses my 10X OLY infinite with a 200mm telephoto as a tube lens. Approximately 70 images, stacked with Zarene, Pmax.

Finally an image with my 20X JML

The JML is mounted to my 200mm Tele. 125 images stacked with Zarene, Pmax, no cropping.

Keith
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great -- I really like the way that knee joint looks in the stereo. I can't remember -- was this your first go with Zerene's synthetic stereo?

--Rik
BugEZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Quote:
First go with Zerene's synthetic stereo?

Yes and no. I had tinkered with it several months ago, but was distracted by other things and didn't actually complete the images.

I enjoy stereo images posted by others. In particular your excellent fly mouth part series. I was taking many "true" stereos with mixed results so I decided to give Zarene's synthetics another try. I have made some other synthetic stereo images. I posted the "knees and snout" since that helped provide background for the image of the weevil’s antenna taken using the JML objective.

This feature of Zarene works very nicely and I think I have gotten the hang of it now. I especially like that the second image processes more quickly than the first, so the software “magic” is smart enough to take advantage of what it learned the first time through. Much appreciated!

Keith
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BugEZ wrote:
This feature of Zarene works very nicely and I think I have gotten the hang of it now.

The result here is excellent. If you can repeat that easily, then you've definitely arrived.

Quote:
I especially like that the second image processes more quickly than the first, so the software “magic” is smart enough to take advantage of what it learned the first time through.

Second and subsequent passes are faster because they reuse the basic alignment information that was determined on the first pass. No alignment required.

Another trick for speeding up stereo is to take advantage of the fact that stereos are usually reproduced smaller than single images. This allows to do stereos with Options > Preferences > Preprocessing set to Pre-size smaller and skip frames. I usually run stereos at 50% and every 2nd frame, which makes stacking go about 5X faster. Selecting the Pre-size option will redo the alignment, so it's best to do this in a separate project especially if you anticipate doing any retouching on the full-size results.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: