Not All that Glitters is Gold

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

naturephoto1 wrote:The price of these lenses has dropped to $34.95 with 95 still available.
For those in possession of the lens, do you think that this is a good enough performer for the price?
Mine seemed like a good buy at $55. It can only have gotten better at $35.

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

A specimen of this lens is passing through my hands, and I had the opportunity to give it a quick whirl last night. I compared it with a Nikon 20x/0.40 ELWD finite objective--the same model Rik tested this JML against. Not that I doubted Rik's findings--just had a hankering to see what this inexpensive JML lens would do in my own hands. My comparison was less rigorous than Rik's, but produced similar results.

NB, I compared both lenses on bellows with the same amount of extension: 200mm from lens shoulder to sensor. Since Rik found that the JML produced 20x magnification at 222mm extension, I was using it at slightly lower magnification, and perhaps a bit out of its sweet spot.

From this exercise, my takeaway: In the center, resolution is about equal between these two lenses. The JML's sharpness degraded quickly away from the center, while the Nikon held up well to the edges. This might not be a huge detriment to photographers doing portraits of insects or other centered subjects.

Chromatic aberration is very different between the two lenses. With the Nikon, CA is axial (purple fringing), and can be troublesome to correct in post. With the JML, it is transverse, and easy to correct in post (as Rik said).

Neither of these lenses really competes with the Mitutoyo MPlan Apo 20x, which is remarkably free of CA and has about twice the working distance. But the Mitty is an infinite objective, and so requires an additional converging lens. It is not suitable on a straight bellows setup.

Putting it into perspective, this JML costs $35. The Nikon 20x ELWD is, if you can find it, about ten times the cost (I see one listed as BIN for $340, which seems a bargain to me, as I paid $500 for the copy tested here). The Mitutoyo 20x lists for $1900, though it can sometimes be purchased second-hand for a third to half that price (I see that one sold recently for $750).

At this price, I think this JML 20x is an outstanding bargain. Respectable 20x for $35? This is the price of a cheap diopter. Anyone working on a bellows who doesn't already have a way of getting to 20x might be well-advised to take a look at it.

Cheers,

--Chris

JW

Post by JW »

For my purposes this lens works great, I ran a few tests here.

Curiously, ZS Pmax processing has less CA than in a Dmap processing
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Chris S. wrote: I think this JML 20x is an outstanding bargain.
=P~ :smt041

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

I finally bit the bullet and ordered one of these this morning, I couldn't resist for $35 plus $9 shipping. Thanks to Chris, Conny, Craig, and others.

Rich
Last edited by naturephoto1 on Mon May 21, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

shrek

Post by shrek »

75 US dollar for shipping to France :evil: :smt093

jp

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

shrek wrote:75 US dollar for shipping to France :evil: :smt093

jp
I am sure that one of us here in the US could send the lens to you via the USPS for a substantial savings.

Rich

canonian

Post by canonian »

naturephoto1 wrote: I am sure that one of us here in the US could send the lens to you via the USPS for a substantial savings.
If so... I'm also interested in obtaining one.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

canonian wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote: I am sure that one of us here in the US could send the lens to you via the USPS for a substantial savings.
If so... I'm also interested in obtaining one.
Hi Fred,

As mentioned, some of us in the US could help out. I know that Chris S. and I have helped out shipping things to members in Europe. Lenses could be ordered but, I could not ship them out till near the middle of next week if they arrived this week.

Rich

shrek

Post by shrek »

Very good idea :D

jp

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

I just received a PM from Fred about making a purchase. Why don't those interested let me know who is interested in ordering the lenses. We can make arrangements for ordering a number of lenses all at once. I can confirm the cost of shipping as an example via USPS flat rate Priority International shipping. I believe that shipping would be around $16 or $17 US, but we can not insure packages via this packaging. I do not think that it makes much sense to try to insure a $35 item.

Payment could be made via Paypal.

Lets try to get an idea as to how many want to get in on this way of making a purchase. Once we have a better idea and I confirm the cost of shipping I can take payments via Paypal or if it is preferred 2 payments via Paypal could be made one for the purchase of the lens and the shipping to me. If we just used the usual Paypal means of payment rather than the buyer making payment as a gift, then I would have to add about 4.1% for Paypal fees.

Rich

abpho

Post by abpho »

I love how the community got onto this lens. Analyzed it. Figured out what it is. And now helping others across the pond acquire them.

Way to go people. :D

vendav

Post by vendav »

Hi Rich,

I would most certainly be interested in obtaining a copy of this lens, and as I'm in the UK would appreciate the multiple purchase and onward shipment idea.
Please count me in when assessing numbers, I can PM you with personal details as required.

Kind regards,
David

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

vendav wrote:Hi Rich,

I would most certainly be interested in obtaining a copy of this lens, and as I'm in the UK would appreciate the multiple purchase and onward shipment idea.
Please count me in when assessing numbers, I can PM you with personal details as required.

Kind regards,
David
Hi David,

I will include you on the list at this point. When I get a better idea as to the number I will place a bid for all of the lenses at once. I will get your info later.

Rich

vendav

Post by vendav »

Hi Rich,

Many thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic