Camera setting advice

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jin

Camera setting advice

Post by jin »

Hi newbie here and I got a Canon 450D and try shooting in manual mode without the AF confirm chip on the FD-to-EOS adapter with a wired remote cable.

The issue is sometime the camera don't seem to trigger at all but most the time it works (I use mirror lockup and then activate Lifeview). But the shutter (trigger) works fine if I shoot without the bellow+objective and point the CCD to light source.

Is this caused by lack of AF chip on the adapter? what your guys' setting with this camera?

Kindly advice and thanks in advance,
Jin

jin

Post by jin »

answering my own question:

1. it was found caused by an intermittent remote control, which i purchased new for only 1 month. So took the soldering iron and replace the jack with new cable assembly, so far so good.

2. without AF confirm chip i observed the different is that in lifeview it will not show actual exposure ie, often to dim i my setup. However if i switched to Av the LCD usually show enough brightness for me to do focusing.

Just my findings so far.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

jin wrote:2. without AF confirm chip i observed the different is that in lifeview it will not show actual exposure ie, often to dim i my setup. However if i switched to Av the LCD usually show enough brightness for me to do focusing.
You're right, this happens when the camera is set to M and doesn't detect a "EF lens". In AV it works OK and if you use a Canon EX flash too. This is normal with XXXD and XXXXD cameras, and also with XXD and XD ones if you set "exposure simulation" ON. (I must admit that I don't understand why, as the camera is able to measure the light and to make the right exposure time)
Pau

killwilly

Post by killwilly »

When using FD lenses on a 450D, it is better to use AV or P on the camera.

Set the lens as wide as possible, ie: smallest f number, focus and then stop down to whatever aperture you want.

I don't have my 450D anymore, but that's what I found was best when using my Canon 100mm f4 macro on that body.
Alan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic