www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Fibre optic light source - what power
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fibre optic light source - what power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Fibre optic light source - what power Reply with quote

When using a light source to illuminate a subject through fibre optic pipes, what is a useful power to make the subject bright enough to check focus ? I see powers ranging from 20W to 150W. This would be for macro/bellows type set up rather than a microscope.

thanks, Andrew
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 150 watt (EKE or EJV bulb) is pretty standard on most FO illuminators and it's probably what you want if you wish to use it for subject lighting, and possibly with a split ("Y") light guide. I also have a 30 watt unit and it's pretty marginal for overall lighting when you start diffusing things. But if your pupose is solely to use the light for to check focus it would do the job nicely. The saving grace of the 30 watt unit I have is that is has no fan, and thus there is no noise! (I've had a couple units over where the cooling fans are so noisy it is really annoying). Currently I have two Volpi NCL 150's. Got them on eBay for a very low price. Quiet fans, and you can vary the light intensity without altering the color temperature, a nice feature if you intend to ever use them for the primary lighting. If you are patient you can get good deals on eBay. If you get one without the guides be advised that there is quite a variety of connector sizes for the light guides.... no real standardization. Crying or Very sad
AndrewC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - it is pretty much what I expected. I might see if I can get some light guides and illuminate them with a Luxeon led. Trouble is that this side of the pond there is much less availability of pretty much everything Sad
johan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:
(I've had a couple units over where the cooling fans are so noisy it is really annoying)

Almost 10 years later and Charlie is still right. The low cost $200 150W ebay models ( ie like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191194564822 ) are INCREDIBLY noisy, to the extent that mine arrived yesterday, within 1 hr I'd ordered an 80mm "silentwings 2". This arrived today and I've already replaced the stock "NMB 3610KL" fan with this one... and now it's very quiet. Bliss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: