A New Book, Guide to the Siricid Woodwasps of North America

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

A New Book, Guide to the Siricid Woodwasps of North America

Post by svalley »

I just received my first copy of Guide to the Siricid Woodwasps of North America, by Nathan M. Schiff, Steven A. Valley (me), James R. LaBonte and David R. Smith, published by USDA Forest Service.

As far as I know this is the first insect book published that utilizes stacked and stitched images. There are 103 images on 102 pages. The size is 8.5 x 11, and it is wire-bound so it will lay flat, making it easy to use when working at a scope comparing specimens. The images of females both dorsal and lateral are full page spreads. Keys to all the species and sub-species are included.

I am mostly pleased with this book. My only disappointment was that the printer did not follow my instructions that the backgrounds were all a neutral, uniform gray. Some of the backgrounds have a slight, but noticable color cast.

The book can be order free (I assume there may be shipping costs) from:
Noel Schneeberger, email: nschneeberger at fs dot fed dot us (replace at with @ and dot with . with no spaces)
Last edited by svalley on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Great Steve. Congratulations.
Look forward to getting a copy!

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Congratulations on the publication of your book Steve. If the published photos are anywhere near as good as the images you have posted on this forum it will be a book to treasure.

Just to let you know: I have emailed Noel Schneeberger requesting a copy of the book (hoping of course that the book is available to folks living outside the USA).

Regards,
Bruce

svalley

Post by svalley »

Charles and Bruce, Thanks.

Bruce I assume anyone can order it.

I heard today that Noel has not received the books yet, other than 1 box that was distributed at a meeting in Maryland last week. My boss, one of the other authors, brought my copy to me.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Steve,

My copy arrived today and splendid it is too. I was amazed that there was no charge for carriage, either. Excellent!
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

svalley

Post by svalley »

Graham, wow, that was quick. I hope you like it. I guess I better order myself a few.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Steve,

Your book arrived in this morning's post. It's a beautifully produced publication, full of large, well printed, and very recognisably "svalley" photographs. I am so pleased with it.

Sincere thanks,
Bruce

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, I didn't get around to ordering my copy until Feb 8.

It came promptly, and I have been admiring it since it came.

The images are superb, and aside from the slight color casts noted by Steve, the printing is excellent. This is a work of both science and art! :D

Still, judging from the process & numbers described by Steve earlier :-k , I'm thinking that there must be a lot more detail in the original digital files than ever made it onto the paper.

As I measure it, the book is printed with a 150 micron screen (170 triads per inch), with a maximum image size of 184 x 248 mm (7-1/4 x 9-3/4 inches). That multiplies out to be only about 2.03 million CMY triads per page. Roughly speaking, 1 triad = 1 pixel, so as printed these are essentially 2 Mpixel images.

Steve, what's your thinking about this? Does the book represent the only end product that's currently planned, or do you folks also plan to make available the full-resolution digital files?

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

"AND IT`S FREE" The best book I ever got FREE..FREE....FREE
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic