Request for feedback on new equipment list

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

brianz

Request for feedback on new equipment list

Post by brianz »

Hi, I am a longtime photographer and amateur astronomer, and I'm now in the market for a high quality stereomicroscope. The goal is mostly visual examination, just for fun, of insects, plants, any other interesting household and backyard items. I do have a full frame digital SLR so I'd like to use that from time to time as well.

Below is my parts list. I would like general feedback as well as some thoughts on two questions:

1) Do I need fine focus too, or is just coarse focus acceptable? When does fine focus begin to matter?
2) Is the included LED lighting on the PLS-1 stand sufficient for my use? I believe my usage indicates more of an incident than transmitted light, so it seems to fit.
3) Does the SLR system make sense? I'll be attaching a Canon 5D II to it.

Parts List
* Meiji EMZ-13TR
* PLS-1 Stand
* 10x and 20x eyepieces
* MA564 graduated mechanical stage with MA991 adapter
* SLR adapter system - T2-1 ring, 1.9x photo eyepiece, and MA 150/50 straight tube attachment

Thanks for any feedback!
Brian

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

The critical component is the objective lens. Not sure how this one is 'corrected' but an Apochromatic objective will give a better image than an Achromatic objective.
I would forget the 20x eyepiece; the 10x is all you need.
The mag. range of 10x-70x seems high. I think something in the low range of 5-6x would be more useful. 50x is likely high enough for max mag.
A 5x eyepiece would be a better bet than a 20x.

I have never used a 70x stereo dissecting scope but for taking images at this mag. you will need to stack and I suspect a fine focus would be needed.

Check for accessories, extra objectives @ 0.5x and 1.5-2x might be nice to have in the future.

I have seen a price quoted at $1,900.00. For this price I would need to have a test run of the scope or at least talk to someone who has one.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Brian,

I have an EMZ-5TR that I used for studying minerals. I used to take photos with it but switched to a horizontal bellows setup. I use a D300, PB-6 bellows and microscope objectives. This is the same camera I used on the scope. I used the 15X oculars.

I bought my scope and attachment from Jim Ross a Absolute Clarity. He is very willing to discuss scopes and associated hardware with you. If I were to have continued shooting minerals through a scope, I would have gone to the Meiji RZ series.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic