Assassin bug - 2 shot pano

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

yeatzee

Assassin bug - 2 shot pano

Post by yeatzee »

Assassin bug by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

2 image panorama, roughly 70 exposures per final image. F/5.6 with the el nikkor/bellows and the three new jansjo desk lamps used. Quite an accomplishment, and Im VERY pleased to have finally done it :)

100% crop

and another which I found quite interesting

what do you guys think? :?:

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Looks very nice to me, can't see anything wrong at all! ;)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks perfect to me too -- very nicely shot & processed!

--Rik

elf

Post by elf »

Very nice results. What technique did you use to create the pano?

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

elf wrote:Very nice results. What technique did you use to create the pano?
Using my geared head I just shifted the camera down a bit and combined the two with microsoft ice
rjlittlefield wrote:Looks perfect to me too -- very nicely shot & processed!

--Rik
Thanks Rik! I don't know if I've told you this enough but zerene is a godsend :)
lauriek wrote:Looks very nice to me, can't see anything wrong at all! ;)
Thanks! Yea im hoping I dont get any more "its not sharp" comments :roll:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

yeatzee wrote: im hoping I dont get any more "its not sharp" comments :roll:
Well, of course it's not as sharp as it could be. :wink: Swap in an Oly 20 or 38 running wide open, or even better a microscope objective, and it would be considerably sharper, but at the cost of more expensive optics, deeper stacks, more trouble with transparent foreground artifact, etc etc. What you have here is good work.

Remember, "Illegitimi non carborundum."

--Rik

DQE

Post by DQE »

The surface textures of highly detailed bug photos continue to fascinate me, probably because they are so unfamiliar, and also knowing how hard they are to capture and display faithfully.

Before I began working with macro and enjoying the stacking efforts of others, I never thought about bugs having surface textures!

Your progress in this very difficult specialized branch of photography is amazing. Just consider where your work will be in X years, especially if this rate of progress continues even at a fraction of your recent progress.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

abpho

Post by abpho »

Pretty sweet. I'd like to get that lens.

lothman

Post by lothman »

Excellent result. I would like to see this bug with another background colour, for me in this example background and objekt are too similar. What about a dark violet.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

lothman wrote:Excellent result. I would like to see this bug with another background colour, for me in this example background and objekt are too similar. What about a dark violet.
Ya I've been trying all sorts of backgrounds, in this case attempting to compliment the subjects coloring. Other examples with different subjects I've tried stark contrast as well. In this case however, I like the bg :)
rjlittlefield wrote:
yeatzee wrote: im hoping I dont get any more "its not sharp" comments :roll:
Well, of course it's not as sharp as it could be. :wink: Swap in an Oly 20 or 38 running wide open, or even better a microscope objective, and it would be considerably sharper, but at the cost of more expensive optics, deeper stacks, more trouble with transparent foreground artifact, etc etc. What you have here is good work.

Remember, "Illegitimi non carborundum."

--Rik
Good lord! I just checked, those oly 38's go for basically 2x the money i've *ever* spent on a lens! Thats essentially two NEW sigma macro's, the most expensive lens I've ever purchased! Dang, that really sucks because i know even in the future there's pretty much no way to justify that purchase :( Thanks for the compliments.... just gotta work with my $20 el nikkor at this point :wink:
DQE wrote:The surface textures of highly detailed bug photos continue to fascinate me, probably because they are so unfamiliar, and also knowing how hard they are to capture and display faithfully.

Before I began working with macro and enjoying the stacking efforts of others, I never thought about bugs having surface textures!

Your progress in this very difficult specialized branch of photography is amazing. Just consider where your work will be in X years, especially if this rate of progress continues even at a fraction of your recent progress.
Yes I completely agree! The most agonizing thing is waiting for the images to come together in zerene..... I just want to see all that detail! I want to see what that bug really looks like :)

Thanks, that honestly means a lot to get a complement like that. I do put a lot of effort into this, and its nice to show/talk about it with people who understand! On other forums I just get looked down upon because they are dead, therefore its easy to get photo's like the ones seen on this forum! Now that I have a componon 80, once I get an adapter I can finally start really pushing for early morning natural light stacks...... from there hopefully I can finally get an objective!
abpho wrote:Pretty sweet. I'd like to get that lens.
Thanks! Everyone should own the el nikkor..... especially when they can be had for under $30!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Nice!
On your flikr page you mention it was about an inch long. About the same as my African sucker then.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 1394#91394 There's quite a difference in the syringe department though - a good subject for a closer look perhaps.

Does that Pentax of yours have any anti-wobble features? EFSC sure makes a difference for me.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

ChrisR wrote:Nice!
On your flikr page you mention it was about an inch long. About the same as my African sucker then.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 1394#91394 There's quite a difference in the syringe department though - a good subject for a closer look perhaps.

Does that Pentax of yours have any anti-wobble features? EFSC sure makes a difference for me.
I dont have any good way to get a quality closeup of it though :( I can reverse my 28mm on the bellows like I did here:

http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewt ... highlight=

but the IQ just isn't as good as I'd like :?

ESFC? Haven't a single clue what that is hahahaha. Anti-wobble feature? As in something like Mirror up?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Electronic Cutter Front Shurtain, or change them round a bit. It the Canon thing where it opens the shutter curtain mechanically, but waits before it turns the sensor on electrically, so there's no wobble. For us geeks it's cool.
I dont have any good way to get a quality closeup of it though
I'll send you a 10x 0.25 lens for your bellows then. You can send it back if you get bored/rich/decide to fly helicopters and stop taking pictures. It'll be worth it to see what you can do with it. Pm me your address.

yeatzee

Post by yeatzee »

ChrisR wrote:Electronic Cutter Front Shurtain, or change them round a bit. It the Canon thing where it opens the shutter curtain mechanically, but waits before it turns the sensor on electrically, so there's no wobble. For us geeks it's cool.
I dont have any good way to get a quality closeup of it though
I'll send you a 10x 0.25 lens for your bellows then. You can send it back if you get bored/rich/decide to fly helicopters and stop taking pictures. It'll be worth it to see what you can do with it. Pm me your address.
Rik sent me a PM and described it in detail.... VERY interesting! Im surprised I haven't heard about before, and that no other brand does this. Oh well, I still love my pentax (and my neighbor just ordered the K-5! Maybe I can borrow it for a stack :wink: )

Are you serious? PM SENT!

johan

Post by johan »

I just had to google "Electronic Shutter Front Curtain" to find out more about it. Is it the same as "electronic front curtain shutter" described here? http://www.mhohner.de/newsitem2/efcs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic