www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Assassin bug - 2 shot pano
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Assassin bug - 2 shot pano
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeatzee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Assassin bug - 2 shot pano Reply with quote

Assassin bug by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

2 image panorama, roughly 70 exposures per final image. F/5.6 with the el nikkor/bellows and the three new jansjo desk lamps used. Quite an accomplishment, and Im VERY pleased to have finally done it Smile

100% crop

and another which I found quite interesting

what do you guys think? Question
lauriek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice to me, can't see anything wrong at all! Wink
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks perfect to me too -- very nicely shot & processed!

--Rik
elf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results. What technique did you use to create the pano?
yeatzee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elf wrote:
Very nice results. What technique did you use to create the pano?

Using my geared head I just shifted the camera down a bit and combined the two with microsoft ice

rjlittlefield wrote:
Looks perfect to me too -- very nicely shot & processed!

--Rik

Thanks Rik! I don't know if I've told you this enough but zerene is a godsend Smile

lauriek wrote:
Looks very nice to me, can't see anything wrong at all! Wink

Thanks! Yea im hoping I dont get any more "its not sharp" comments Rolling Eyes
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeatzee wrote:
im hoping I dont get any more "its not sharp" comments Rolling Eyes

Well, of course it's not as sharp as it could be. Wink Swap in an Oly 20 or 38 running wide open, or even better a microscope objective, and it would be considerably sharper, but at the cost of more expensive optics, deeper stacks, more trouble with transparent foreground artifact, etc etc. What you have here is good work.

Remember, "Illegitimi non carborundum."

--Rik
DQE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surface textures of highly detailed bug photos continue to fascinate me, probably because they are so unfamiliar, and also knowing how hard they are to capture and display faithfully.

Before I began working with macro and enjoying the stacking efforts of others, I never thought about bugs having surface textures!

Your progress in this very difficult specialized branch of photography is amazing. Just consider where your work will be in X years, especially if this rate of progress continues even at a fraction of your recent progress.

"Diffraction never sleeps"
abpho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet. I'd like to get that lens.
lothman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent result. I would like to see this bug with another background colour, for me in this example background and objekt are too similar. What about a dark violet.
yeatzee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lothman wrote:
Excellent result. I would like to see this bug with another background colour, for me in this example background and objekt are too similar. What about a dark violet.

Ya I've been trying all sorts of backgrounds, in this case attempting to compliment the subjects coloring. Other examples with different subjects I've tried stark contrast as well. In this case however, I like the bg Smile

rjlittlefield wrote:
yeatzee wrote:
im hoping I dont get any more "its not sharp" comments Rolling Eyes

Well, of course it's not as sharp as it could be. Wink Swap in an Oly 20 or 38 running wide open, or even better a microscope objective, and it would be considerably sharper, but at the cost of more expensive optics, deeper stacks, more trouble with transparent foreground artifact, etc etc. What you have here is good work.

Remember, "Illegitimi non carborundum."

--Rik

Good lord! I just checked, those oly 38's go for basically 2x the money i've *ever* spent on a lens! Thats essentially two NEW sigma macro's, the most expensive lens I've ever purchased! Dang, that really sucks because i know even in the future there's pretty much no way to justify that purchase Sad Thanks for the compliments.... just gotta work with my $20 el nikkor at this point Wink

DQE wrote:
The surface textures of highly detailed bug photos continue to fascinate me, probably because they are so unfamiliar, and also knowing how hard they are to capture and display faithfully.

Before I began working with macro and enjoying the stacking efforts of others, I never thought about bugs having surface textures!

Your progress in this very difficult specialized branch of photography is amazing. Just consider where your work will be in X years, especially if this rate of progress continues even at a fraction of your recent progress.
Yes I completely agree! The most agonizing thing is waiting for the images to come together in zerene..... I just want to see all that detail! I want to see what that bug really looks like Smile

Thanks, that honestly means a lot to get a complement like that. I do put a lot of effort into this, and its nice to show/talk about it with people who understand! On other forums I just get looked down upon because they are dead, therefore its easy to get photo's like the ones seen on this forum! Now that I have a componon 80, once I get an adapter I can finally start really pushing for early morning natural light stacks...... from there hopefully I can finally get an objective!

abpho wrote:
Pretty sweet. I'd like to get that lens.

Thanks! Everyone should own the el nikkor..... especially when they can be had for under $30!
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
On your flikr page you mention it was about an inch long. About the same as my African sucker then.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91394#91394 There's quite a difference in the syringe department though - a good subject for a closer look perhaps.

Does that Pentax of yours have any anti-wobble features? EFSC sure makes a difference for me.
yeatzee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
Nice!
On your flikr page you mention it was about an inch long. About the same as my African sucker then.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91394#91394 There's quite a difference in the syringe department though - a good subject for a closer look perhaps.

Does that Pentax of yours have any anti-wobble features? EFSC sure makes a difference for me.

I dont have any good way to get a quality closeup of it though Sad I can reverse my 28mm on the bellows like I did here:

http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13965&highlight=

but the IQ just isn't as good as I'd like Confused

ESFC? Haven't a single clue what that is hahahaha. Anti-wobble feature? As in something like Mirror up?
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic Cutter Front Shurtain, or change them round a bit. It the Canon thing where it opens the shutter curtain mechanically, but waits before it turns the sensor on electrically, so there's no wobble. For us geeks it's cool.

Quote:
I dont have any good way to get a quality closeup of it though
I'll send you a 10x 0.25 lens for your bellows then. You can send it back if you get bored/rich/decide to fly helicopters and stop taking pictures. It'll be worth it to see what you can do with it. Pm me your address.
yeatzee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
Electronic Cutter Front Shurtain, or change them round a bit. It the Canon thing where it opens the shutter curtain mechanically, but waits before it turns the sensor on electrically, so there's no wobble. For us geeks it's cool.

Quote:
I dont have any good way to get a quality closeup of it though
I'll send you a 10x 0.25 lens for your bellows then. You can send it back if you get bored/rich/decide to fly helicopters and stop taking pictures. It'll be worth it to see what you can do with it. Pm me your address.

Rik sent me a PM and described it in detail.... VERY interesting! Im surprised I haven't heard about before, and that no other brand does this. Oh well, I still love my pentax (and my neighbor just ordered the K-5! Maybe I can borrow it for a stack Wink )

Are you serious? PM SENT!
johan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to google "Electronic Shutter Front Curtain" to find out more about it. Is it the same as "electronic front curtain shutter" described here? http://www.mhohner.de/newsitem2/efcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: