SOLD: Zeiss MP100/2.8 (C/Y)

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tesselator

SOLD: Zeiss MP100/2.8 (C/Y)

Post by Tesselator »

For sale is the famous West German made Zeiss MP100/2.8 (C/Y). Glass is perfect, condition is excellent, There may be the obligatory amount of micro-dust inside but if there is it can't seen with normal to bright room lighting. Looks and operates perfectly to me! Includes both original contax caps plus soft-case. The lens needs no introduction but to note is that it does macro at 1:1, is rated capable of 3.5x on an auto-bellows which is simply amazing, and the focus ring is very smooth making it a pleasure to shoot with!

This site published these specs and comments:
  • A high performance telephoto macro lens developed especially for close-up photography. Large magnification ratios (up to life size) can be obtained without an Auto Extension Tube while maintaining distance from the subject.
    • Lens Composition 7 elements, 7 groups Correction of aberration at close range with floating elements; Angular Field 24 degrees; Minimum Focus 0.41m (16 in) (1:1); Diaphragm action MM fully automatic; F-stop scale f2.8-4-5.6-8-11-16-22; Filter Size 67mm screw-in type; Lens hood 67mm G-13 soft hood, screw-in type No. 5 metal hood (with 67/86 ring), screw-in type; Weight 740 grams (1.63 lbs); Lens size 76x86.5mm(3x3-3/8 in); Lens pouch No 2; Lens cap 67mm K-61, snap type.
    The Macro-Planar T* 100mm f/2.8 , in particular has been rated as one of the best performer in the business. The Auto Bellow and rest of other accessories found in the system also are very well designed and extremely well made to show its quality feel.
Asking $905

Shipping is free, but you have to pay for any pay-pal fees. (There's always a 3% transfer fee from pay-pal to my account but the other fees can be zero by using a "gift" option as I understand it.

PS: I have two of these lenses and they have different original contax front caps - one is a friction-fit and the other is a typical spring-loaded type. So if you're buying this lens please specify a preference.

Thanks!

Also I would be willing to trade this for a Canon 1D Mark IIn with a low shutter count, in excellent condition, and with 2 or 3 batteries + charger.

Here's the images:

The lens on the left is the one I'm selling but both are shown side by side here so that you can see the two different types of Contax original lens caps.

The one on the left is the typical plastic spring-loaded style cap. The one on the right is rubberized friction-fit type - maybe with a metal core - it's rubber all over but it doesn't bend like rubber.
Last edited by Tesselator on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

I lowered the price some. :)

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

Reduced again. Now $905

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

If you will pardon the intrusion, it may be worth pointing out a couple of things about this lens.

Firstly, the Contax/Yashica (C/Y) mount can be easily used on Canon, and I believe Pentax, digital SLR while retaining infinity focus and without additional optics, as the register distance of C/Y is greater than CXanon and Pentax, leaving room for a mechanical adapter. It cannot be used on Nikon without introducing some additional extension (which may not be a problem for a macro lens which is designed to be usable with bellows extension). I know people who shoot with Conyax C/Y Zeiss lenses on Canon DSLR with great success.

Secondly, while some Zeiss C/Y designs were transferred with little change to the current Zeiss ZF/ZE (Nikon mount/Canon mount) range, manufactured in Japan by Cosina, this is not one of them. The current Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2 is a 9 elements in 8 groups designwhich is quite good at infinity to close distances (ver sharp, as long as one is not too sensitive to axial chromatic aberration which is has rather a lot of) but not, despite the name, at its best at macro distances. Indeed the current Zeiss US page about this lens talks about its use for landscape and for portraits, rather than for macro. The Japanese page by Cosina has an optical diagram which the US page lacks.

So the lens currently on sale is specifically optimised for macro, and is the design is not available new. The price of the (less good for macro) current Zeiss 100/2 is $1,843, as a point of comparison.

Sorry for chiming in on this thread (and not being in a position to buy the lens myself) but perhaps these further details are of interest to potential purchasers.

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

Yeah from my studies this lens is better at everything than the new MP100. This lens has no detectable CA at all! And it's as sharp or sharper at infinity than the newer version. It's noticeably sharper from 1:5 to 1:2 and this lens does 1:1 whereas the new version only does 1:2.

And BTW, I thank you for your input! Very nice! Very welcome!

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

Also this conversion kit works with the addition of drilling different holes. Everything is the same as shown there but that holes in the new (replacement) mount-ring are in a different place to what's needed.

But this is of course only needed specifically for mounting on Nikon bodies and only if you need infinity focus. ;)

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

SOLD.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic