Which type of light bulbs?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bromodomain

Which type of light bulbs?

Post by bromodomain »

I bought a binocular head for my Zeiss Standard and as expected I had to change my light bulb since it no longer provided sufficient illumination. Anyway I was using an incandescent 40W 220V bulb fitted on a desk lamp and it worked perfectly. I have both a mirror and an electrical lamp for the scope but the latter gets very hot and I tend not to use it (its a 15W 220V bulb). I wonder would it get better if I switch to a 6V 15W one by using a transformer.

What type of light bulb would you recommend me. I suppose a UV free lamp is a must for brightfield microscopy. Is halogen type appropriate?

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

The recommended bulb for the Zeiss Standard with built in illuminator in the base is a 6V 10W halogen bulb I believe. There are various types of lamp housing and illuminator for the many other variants of the Zeiss 'Standard' and they can take other bulbs. You might consider swapping to LED illumination if you have the necessary know how.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

Sorry, I didn't mention that its a Zeiss standard KF (ca 1950-1960)

And this is the lamp

Near the bulb socket it says 2A 250V. I guess there isnt much point in converting it to 6V then?

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

Cactusdave wrote:You might consider swapping to LED illumination if you have the necessary know how.
My main concern are the associated hazards. If I use a low-voltage halogen I'd need an anti-IR filter because infra red waves damage the eyes in the long-turn.

I am interested in using LEDs. Could you point me to some DIY links :)

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

Thanks for the links. I'm a longtime reader of mic-uk and have two articles there :)

Have you ever used LEDs?

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Yes I have an LED fibre optic illuminator for one of my Zeiss Standards kindly built for me by Graham Matthews who posts on this site from time to time. It works pretty well, but can be a tiny bit underpowered for phase and polarisation which eat light for breakfast :) .

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

I wonder if I can buy a Zeiss GFL stand and put it on my KF. They look very similar and I have the feeling that their bases are interchangeable. Only a blind guess so someone with experience should speak.

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

If you are just looking for a general light this works pretty good..4.78 at walmart..3 led stick it right on..takes 2aaa batteries that last a long time..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-DOTS ... k/15958701

Just shoot it......

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

The whole question of interchangeability between the Zeiss models GFL, WL, and indeed amongst the various incarnations of the Standard, KF, 14, 16, 18, 22 etc. is an absolute minefield. I would be very wary of claiming you can mix and match between the KF and the the GFL. A couple of quick tests. Is the binocular head removeable on a dovetail? If so that's one part you can reuse. Next, does the objective changer come off on a dovetail? Finally can you remove the condenser? If not and I suspect not, then the binocular head is the only interchangeable part, plus the objectives themselves of course. If you can get a Standard series body with a better illuminator, the type with an illuminator which plugs into the rear of the base are most flexible, without a viewing head or objectives, then you can at least reuse your head and objectives. I don't think any other parts from the KF will prove useable I'm afraid.

Sonynut's illuminator idea is a clever one, but I would have thought the fact that you have three LED light sources rather than one and no effective field diaphragm would make setting up critical illumination impossible.

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

You can have 3-2-or 1 run....I have noticed no dif though
Just shoot it......

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

Cactusdave wrote:A couple of quick tests. Is the binocular head removeable on a dovetail? If so that's one part you can reuse. Next, does the objective changer come off on a dovetail? Finally can you remove the condenser?
The binocular head is on a dovetail. The objective changer is not. The condenser can be removed but its not on a dovetail. I've seen essentially the same models but with a different base where the illuminator is built in. To be honest a good bulb is all I really need. A frosted incandescent 60W for the binocular head and 40W for a monocular head is perfect for brightfield and polarisation.

Plus I like to play with the mirror. I like my microscope and the fact that its so old. I do wish I had a Universal or a Photomicroscope. There is something very appealing about their shape but I just can't put my finger on it </dream>

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic