Now I'm happy

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Simon W

Now I'm happy

Post by Simon W »

A variety of pics from my first 'serious' photo session with the new setup. No stacking here, just more practice and fiddling with the oblique patch.

Small clover, 2x obj

I never realised the complexity of a clover:

First remotely decent 40x pic (well, more like 500x or so into the sensor, yes I'll need to use Charles' tips on measuring..)

Liked the colours in this one:

Apple, 40x obj, you can see the fibres of the flesh. Gawd, I feel so ignorant compared to you biologists!

Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

2nd one is my favourite.

Good job man. I'd like to see more. Hey try some pond water and see whats lurking in there.

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Thanks. I don't know what NOT to try, it's so satisfying. I gotta drive a couple of Kays and get some ocean samples. Or just swab my sneakers..
Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Simon,

I strongly encourage everyone to play around with oblique illumination. The specimens you show here are very thick, and have great contrast by themselves. You will see a difference from "straight" brightfield, but it may not be that significant. The real value from oblique comes more when you work with subjects that are thinner, relatively "clear", and have a refractive index closer to the medium where they exist. You will see this if/when you get into the tiny water critters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic