Chaoborus phantom midge larva musculature

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: Chris S., Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR

gpmatthews

Chaoborus phantom midge larva musculature

Post by gpmatthews »

A favourite subject, revisited at an "adult pond dipping" I ran at my local nature reserve. We brought samples back to the visitors' centre and I was able to display live microscope images on a large TV screen used as a monitor. This one caused a few gasps from the assembled group (I've tidied up the background and rebalanced the colour):

Microscope: Zeiss Standard
Ocular: Zeiss KPL-W 10/18
Objective: Zeiss 1.6/0.03 - 5/0.1
Substage: Leitz 0.9 NA ICT, top flipped out, pol only (no DIC prism), retardation filter.
Specimen: live, anaesthetised/lidocaine
Warnham LNR, Horsham, UK, 19-Jul-2011

Sorry, no scale bar: there wasn't time to calibrate, but Chaoborus is a few mm long.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Very nice and unusual image. Pol or DIC/Pol is a great way to show up muscles in transparent specimens as they are highly birefringent. I like the colours in this one too. That variable zoom low power objective is a useful bit of kit.
Last edited by Cactusdave on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Wow, it seems there's a funky laser light show going on inside that beastie! :shock: :wink:

Great capture, Graham!

--Betty

Harald

Post by Harald »

Amazing!
The first color X-ray ??
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

A little belatedly - just to say my T-shirt arrived safely: thanks!! I shall wear it to the Quekett Exhibition to fly the flag.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.